Is Violent crime fuelled by violence on TV/Drama/Movies

My point was not that TV/Movies are causing violence but are they fuelling it? Of course violence existed pre TV and film however is it becoming more commonplace? Would even include violent video games in the discussion.

A lot of people seem to laugh at the idea but the study in America shows a correlation between aggressive behaviour and time spent watching TV, among teens and young adults.

Young people idolise celebrities whether it be super heroes, footballers or actors and even social media celebrities nowadays. And they are certainly influenced by people they idolise. What if they idolise characters from TV/media that are violent?

No question desensitization to violence plays a role and that still covers a wider range of sources that includes video games to even how violence is portrayed in corporate media news

My point was not that TV/Movies are causing violence but are they fuelling it? Of course violence existed pre TV and film however is it becoming more commonplace? Would even include violent video games in the discussion.

A lot of people seem to laugh at the idea but the study in America shows a correlation between aggressive behaviour and time spent watching TV, among teens and young adults.
This America?

statista-violent-crime-rate-US-1990-2014.png

Interestingly the study posted earlier (tentatively) suggested a link between hours spent watching TV and violence, but crucially no link between watching violence on TV and real life violence. In other words, it didn't matter exactly what you watched.

Wikipedia actually offers a good outline of the various sides of the debate, and it seems fairly up in the air. But I can't help but think that of the multitude of issues that may contribute to violent crime, watching TV is hardly likely to be a major factor.

Last edited:

Young people idolise celebrities whether it be super heroes, footballers or actors and even social media celebrities nowadays. And they are certainly influenced by people they idolise. What if they idolise characters from TV/media that are violent?
Life imitates art, art imitates life.

Stopped watching soaps 20 years ago when the kids starting speaking to there family like a piece of shit!

Of course it can influence the odd idiot who wants to be a gangster/peaky blinder/viking... but those are probably the sort of idiots that would just as easily have been influenced by old village tales.

I think as a species, we were far more violent, long before TVs were thought of. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.

Maybe the difference today is, it's more often premeditated and not instinctual... meaning even though we should know a lot better by now(than the medieval period for example), people sometimes still really want to do each other harm and put a lot of thought into it, on occasion.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.