Is Violent crime fuelled by violence on TV/Drama/Movies

My point was not that TV/Movies are causing violence but are they fuelling it? Of course violence existed pre TV and film however is it becoming more commonplace? Would even include violent video games in the discussion.

A lot of people seem to laugh at the idea but the study in America shows a correlation between aggressive behaviour and time spent watching TV, among teens and young adults.

Young people idolise celebrities whether it be super heroes, footballers or actors and even social media celebrities nowadays. And they are certainly influenced by people they idolise. What if they idolise characters from TV/media that are violent?

So all the early cowboy films caused WW2?

My point was not that TV/Movies are causing violence but are they fuelling it? Of course violence existed pre TV and film however is it becoming more commonplace? Would even include violent video games in the discussion.

A lot of people seem to laugh at the idea but the study in America shows a correlation between aggressive behaviour and time spent watching TV, among teens and young adults.

Young people idolise celebrities whether it be super heroes, footballers or actors and even social media celebrities nowadays. And they are certainly influenced by people they idolise. What if they idolise characters from TV/media that are violent?

Now that I've had much mirth at your sweet innocent life viewpoint, let me just put it into perspective. I could have mentioned any of the logical points above ('life imitates art imitates life' was my first thought, but I wanted to inject some absurd humour here!), but the real point is that, as also said before, the percentage of TV affecting violence is MINUSCULE and is something bent to proof a point for whatever purpose.

There's no recorded proof that say Pete on Sidmouth Street who gets 'triggered' by Captain America taking on Hydra and Bobby from Hector Ave on the street next to Pete is 'triggered' by the same thing. Even if that's the case, what are the chances both act upon a violent impulse out on the street? No visuals compel an individual to act; you literally have to have the 'trigger' mechanisms in you to act, which means ANYTHING can tip you over. It just needs the 'perfect storm' for it to happen.

But, of course, there's always the grain of truth that this does happen, but it's a grain, a pebble ripple in a vast ocean.

Your argument is based on a multitude of factors that you overlook; peer pressure, mob mentality for gangs. Mentality disorders, physical abuse etc for individuals.

TV doesn't need to trigger these people, but they may get some ideas from what they see and even then, this is not a mass issue, but in certain cases a leader influences the mob.

This again, dilutes your argument.

Not sure tv or video games are to blame.

My thoughts are that life for a young man these days is full of ego fuelled pressure, most of which simply cannot handle and as a result many end up quite depressed about the whole thing. That depression leads to anger, hate and violence over the smallest of things.

If your brought up from poor beginnings, things are difficult and once you hit your early to mid 20's your enthusiasm for your dreams starts to wain as the realisation that you're unlikely to achieve those dreams starts to hit home. Average wages for average jobs are piss poor, getting on the housing ladder is extremely tough and thinking about saving for a pension for when you old is completely out of reach for many yet what's pedalled is get a job/career, work hard, save for your future and you'll prosper.

Add in the whole celebrity fascination that most have where said young person see's the lifestyle that the celebrity has and that just leads to more depression because that lifestyle is well out of reach.

I have no idea about the recent stabbing/knife crime culture as I believe that to be a separate issue altogether but as far as general lack of tolerance, anger and violence, I believe it's down in part to the fact that life is quite tough if you have certain expectation of how your life will pan out and in many cases that expectation falls short.

General greed and Parenting are more to blame than tv or films though. What the adverts, television, social media and tin pot celebrities portray is not real life for your average person with an average shot at life. I don't think many think along those lines though.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.