It could only happen to us.

LEE BRADBURY

It could only happen to us?,we are now officially the richest club on the planet, we have a world class player in the shape of Robinho who cost our new owners £32.5 Million, we appoint a new manager in the shape of MH supposedly the best young British manager in the game and give him the wonderful present of Robinho, then we buy VK,Zaballeta,TBH,all our owners expect this season is a top 6 Finnish, hardly surprising given the quality of the signings we have made and the quality we have already.

We all have the season mapped out in our minds eye, here is how mine went I saw us doing reasonably well up until January, where I expected us to be a nice healthy 6th or 7th,I then expected us to make a couple of quality signings and push on and maybe sneak a 4th place Finnish, I didn’t expect it all to go tits up as emphatically as it has ,the back 4 for starters not the best in the world admittedly but pretty consistent looks awful, the entire team looks devoid of confidence, the 4 or 5 squad players we need now looks like 9 or 10.

Can anybody hand on heart now rule out the possibility of relegation based on the last few weeks?, to make matters worse because our season has been so poor we have had to change our transfer targets from a list of quality players to a list of players who can just pull us out the shit. Thus saving Hughes bacon at a price.

Now January is here the month we were all looking forward to, expecting maybe a star name or two, and we have our manager scowering the premiership for fellow countrymen or one season wonders, and none of them want to come unless the money is ridiculous, I am sure ADUG must now be wondering where they go from here.

I also think our lowly league position has weakened our position in the transfer market and MH himself might not be an attractive proposition to play for, if you like to play the ball along the ground..

Still plenty of time I know, just feeling a bit let down.

Reading the threads pages off fans happy a game against Portsmouth has been called off because we are without 3 players says it all really, and lets face it they have problems too.

Would be nice to see a couple of rabbits pulled out the hat, rather than the names we are being linked with.

CTID

I have got to agree, MH said he wanted players in early. Ok so we dont want to get ripped off but January window is always more expensive but offering 3-4m for Given is a joke. Idealy we need players that are not UEFA cup tied, but what is taking so long.

Even with the current squad I have no doubt that by the end of Feb we would be safely in the top half and by the end of the season we will be 7th or 8th. At the start of the season that is what I would have expected at best. This "project" needs to be built over a number of years with year on year improvement. I honestly can't see relegation being our problem this season.

Good post ..... although to say we'd done reasonalby well until January is questionable ....... only SIX out of twenty games won wouldn't suggest that , plus two cup defeats to lower league sides(albeit one was in early January).

All those statistics would suggest is that our consitency is a long way from what it really should be.

We are probably amongst the Premierships highest scorers , but we only seem able to do it in 'fits and starts' and not consistently in other matches ........ and to be honest from day one at Aston Villa our defence has been highly questionable , no way have we got that right yet , although the signing of Bridge is a healthy start ........ but thirty league goals already conceded hasn't helped our cause.

I think Hughes feels that signing foreigners at this stage could put both his , and the clubs , immediate futures at risk ....... first , will they like the hard winter months enough to give their all for the club , and then will they have enough time to gel to move the club forward ?

He seems to be opting for fairly average , battle-hardened , Premiership players who he obviously feels will be up for the fight that bit more , as they'll know what to expect , and what's required to do the job.

He'll sink or swim by his decisions ..... they're obviously not the players that the arabs had in mind , but if they keep the club in the Premiership this season Hughes will feel he can move it forward from there with a summer transfer kitty.

mcfc1996 said:
Even with the current squad I have no doubt that by the end of Feb we would be safely in the top half and by the end of the season we will be 7th or 8th. At the start of the season that is what I would have expected at best. This "project" needs to be built over a number of years with year on year improvement. I honestly can't see relegation being our problem this season.
Your right in what you say, but do you honestly see that much progress at the moment, lets put players like Elano to one side, and look at the performances of Dunne and Richards, this season has seen them both suffer a terrible loss in form even Hart Has gone backwards, it is obvious from players performances something is not right.

I am all for giving MH time, but I have to concede to the ones that want MH out that I don’t feel we are doing as good as we should be, it is obvious from individual and collective performances.

No wonder our owner wanted the Prozone statistics.

LEE BRADBURY said:
mcfc1996 said:
Your right in what you say, but do you honestly see that much progress at the moment, lets put players like Elano to one side, and look at the performances of Dunne and Richards, this season has seen them both suffer a terrible loss in form even Hart Has gone backwards, it is obvious from players performances something is not right.

I am all for giving MH time, but I have to concede to the ones that want MH out that I don’t feel we are doing as good as we should be, it is obvious from individual and collective performances.

No wonder our owner wanted the Prozone statistics.

I agree that the club aren't doing as well as they should be and that certain players aren't performing to their own standards. However I do feel that some of those players weren't performing in the 2nd half of last season and there is no doubt that we over achieved in the 1st half. Perhaps where we are now is a reflection of that. As I say I have no doubt that we will finish the season 7th/8th behind the usual 4 and Villa and Everton which is where I would have expected us to finish. I also believe that Hughes will make us a top 6 side within 2 seasons.

black mamba said:
Good post ..... although to say we'd done reasonalby well until January is questionable ....... only SIX out of twenty games won wouldn't suggest that , plus two cup defeats to lower league sides(albeit one was in early January).

All those statistics would suggest is that our consitency is a long way from what it really should be.

We are probably amongst the Premierships highest scorers , but we only seem able to do it in 'fits and starts' and not consistently in other matches ........ and to be honest from day one at Aston Villa our defence has been highly questionable , no way have we got that right yet , although the signing of Bridge is a healthy start ........ but thirty league goals already conceded hasn't helped our cause.

I think Hughes feels that signing foreigners at this stage could put both his , and the clubs , immediate futures at risk ....... first , will they like the hard winter months enough to give their all for the club , and then will they have enough time to gel to move the club forward ?

He seems to be opting for fairly average , battle-hardened , Premiership players who he obviously feels will be up for the fight that bit more , as they'll know what to expect , and what's required to do the job.

He'll sink or swim by his decisions ..... they're obviously not the players that the arabs had in mind , but if they keep the club in the Premiership this season Hughes will feel he can move it forward from there with a summer transfer kitty.
i think it is obvious from the names we are being linked with that he feels we are in trouble, like you say he is opting for players who he feels will put a shift in for him, so basically we are signing players to save his skin and grind out results, not necessarily improve the football on offer.

I think this summer some serious questions need to be asked on whether MH is capable of taking this club where we want it to go, because based on his performance as a manager and coach so far, and the players we are being linked with I see us developing in to nothing more than a physical midtable side, I am virtually 100% certain that ADUG want us to be a good skilful footballing side that play attractive football, if that’s the case then we are going down the wrong path big time..

mcfc1996 said:

Exactly,
I have always said it takes 3 years to build a team.

black mamba said:

i'd agree with all that except that last section, i doubt they'd be happy with just keeping us in the prem, i'm sure they'd like to see a push up the table after the january window to show some signs of promise. and even then his future at the club would be slim

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.