Italia '90

Thats the first World Cup I can remember being born in 81 and I can just remember Euro 88 that had some brilliant goals. The Ronnie Whelan scissors kick goal and the brilliant Marco Van Basten volley.

As for the World Cup Italia 90 I remember going down to the barbers and asking for a Pat Bonnar haircut back then. That World Cup was great Ireland getting to the Quater finals and the team visiting the Pope. Also the legend that is Toto Schillaci he wrecked the World Cup for us with his goal. I remember after every match all the people were we live came out and had a party flags all over the place bunting going from house to house.

USA 94 Ray Houghton scoring the goal against Italy. Aldo telling the linesman to fuck off those days were brilliant then it went shit after that as Ireland missed out on the next World Cup.

leighton said:
Thats the first World Cup I can remember being born in 81 and I can just remember Euro 88 that had some brilliant goals. The Ronnie Whelan scissors kick goal and the brilliant Marco Van Basten volley.

As for the World Cup Italia 90 I remember going down to the barbers and asking for a Pat Bonnar haircut back then. That World Cup was great Ireland getting to the Quater finals and the team visiting the Pope. Also the legend that is Toto Schillaci he wrecked the World Cup for us with his goal. I remember after every match all the people were we live came out and had a party flags all over the place bunting going from house to house.

USA 94 Ray Houghton scoring the goal against Italy. Aldo telling the linesman to fuck off those days were brilliant then it went shit after that as Ireland missed out on the next World Cup.
Wasn't a linesman; it was one of the FIFA officials. Something to do with a substitution being delayed against Mexico in the oven that was Florida.

It wasnt a great tournament
Dull games
Shit crowds
Really bad foul play
The only reason why its fondly remembered in England is because out of the 5 best games in Italy '90 England were involved in 3 of them, Gazza and Bobby Robson and Costa Rica beat Scotland!!

jimharri said:
leighton said:

Wasn't a linesman; it was one of the FIFA officials. Something to do with a substitution being delayed against Mexico in the oven that was Florida.

I stand corrected I always thought it was the linesman who stopped him from getting on.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSJVL74OlQk[/youtube]

Also the heat of America was never good for that Irish team Stan was a ginger and gingers and heat like that dont mix and he wasnt the only player suffering in that World Cup. The only player that it benefited was McGrath and his knees.

italia 90 was great coz ireland scotland and england qualified... would love all 5 nations to qualify for once.

england and ireland did well enough. great atmosphere..... italians made it perfect!

US94 was good..... but too vast and the heat...should have been more evening games!!!

fra98 was great

j&k 02 was a farce with the officials getting it all wrong

ger06 was worse!

SA10 was good but the officials got the balls all wrong and holland going as far as they did when half the squad should have been sent home on assault charges by the group stages!

des hardi said:
italia 90 was great coz ireland scotland and england qualified... would love all 5 nations to qualify for once.

england and ireland did well enough. great atmosphere..... italians made it perfect!

US94 was good..... but too vast and the heat...should have been more evening games!!!

fra98 was great

j&k 02 was a farce with the officials getting it all wrong

ger06 was worse!

SA10 was good but the officials got the balls all wrong and holland going as far as they did when half the squad should have been sent home on assault charges by the group stages!

2006 was better than SA, IMO. I could be biased, as I have a slight soft spot for Italy, but I feel the quality of football was much better. Argentina played some sublime football at times, with Riquelme running the show. If it wasn't for the referee, they would have beaten Germany in the quarters. Zidane's performance against Brazil, also stands out alot, as was Ronaldo breaking the record for the most WC goals. 2010, was probably the worst World Cup I've known.

des hardi said:
You left out those bloody vuvuzelas!

It was great because it was Ireland's first World Cup. And because Lineker shit himself literally on the pitch

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v24UKqJIKm8[/youtube]

I don't remember much about it. I was living in Los Christianos and working on Veronicas front in Playa De Las Americas at the time.
Living on a diet of LSD, brandy and McDonalds didn't help much, but I do remember it going off big time in Linekars bar shortly after Waddle blazed his penalty over the bar.
With 3/4's of the bar English and 1/4 German it wasn't a surprise really.
The cactus raves up in the hills were good that summer though. Especially with a Manc accent, it wasn't too difficult 'kopping-off' with the ladies. (Manchester was the 'it' place back then)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.