Italian referendum

One fact that cannot be denied, and cannot be described as scaremongering, is the demographic make-up of Western Europe, most especially in Italy. Ageing population; low birth rate - amongst indigenous people.

Has anyone devised a workable alternative to solve this conundrum, other than an aspiration that robotics can take up the slack?

One fact that cannot be denied, and cannot be described as scaremongering, is the demographic make-up of Western Europe, most especially in Italy. Ageing population; low birth rate - amongst indigenous people.

Has anyone devised a workable alternative to solve this conundrum, other than an aspiration that robotics can take up the slack?

I favour giving incentives to increase birth rate as well as allowing a family on the median wage to function without both parents working. Problem is that those both require long term politics that nobody (at least in this country) seems keen to engage in. Perhaps that could be solved by having an election each year for 1/10 of seats and have 10 year terms rather than 5, so there's a rolling parliament (maybe coupled with it being easier for the public to trigger a by-election).

Immigration only delays the problem and infrastructure should really be built before they arrive, rather than retrospectively.

I favour giving incentives to increase birth rate as well as allowing a family on the median wage to function without both parents working. Problem is that those both require long term politics that nobody (at least in this country) seems keen to engage in. Perhaps that could be solved by having an election each year for 1/10 of seats and have 10 year terms rather than 5, so there's a rolling parliament (maybe coupled with it being easier for the public to trigger a by-election).

Immigration only delays the problem and infrastructure should really be built before they arrive, rather than retrospectively.
I'll take each of those points in turn:

Having kids isn't simply a function of economics, especially for the professional middle classes who would be the most likely to financially support having more kids. The system of incentives you suggest would accentuate dependency culture in this land, ditto the median wage suggestion.

The election each year suggestion, whilst interesting, would further calcify, not liberate our politics imo.

Agree with you about the infrastructure part; easier said than done though!

I'll take each of those points in turn:

Having kids isn't simply a function of economics, especially for the professional middle classes who would be the most likely to financially support having more kids. The system of incentives you suggest would accentuate dependency culture in this land, ditto the median wage suggestion.

The election each year suggestion, whilst interesting, would further calcify, not liberate our politics imo.

Agree with you about the infrastructure part; easier said than done though!

I agree that it isn't simple economics - my point is that it's currently very difficult for people to have kids, because it's expensive and the career interruption can financially harm too, and that efforts should be made to lessen those concerns. I doubt I have the life experience to suggest the best idea, but the past family unit of one parent working and one looking after children seems far better and simpler than both working and struggling to pay for childcare. I completely get the point on dependency culture too (believe I sit further right on the political spectrum than you), but I believe a system that alleviates that could be introduced. For example, I agree with the recent policy of limiting child benefit to the first two children; we just need more people to have up to two children than current (prospective) parents having more than two kids.

The election idea was off the top of my head, but I certainly think government needs to think beyond their 5 year terms. Obviously, they need incentives to do that though as there's no benefit to them laying the groundwork for another party to either stop development or claim all of the credit. Maybe the American founding fathers were correct and political parties should be abolished!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.