It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

He has done fine since his arrival and was always in great shape too. What he is is a £100m signing that the opposition fans and media are desperate to fail, so any deviation from outstanding is seen as a criticism. One could equally argue that a team is functioning best when no individual stands out.
I know mate, I wasn't having a go at the lad, I think you've misread my post.

Difficult situation.

Palmer and Alvarez are pretty much untested at this level, no guarantee they will get to Sterling/Jesus level never mind beyond it.

That said, the only way to find out is to try it. Worst case, we dont win any trophies for a year and then we go out and buy someone. Not the end of the world is it?

A huge downgrade imo. We have no idea how Alvarez will adapt except from YouTube and Palmer looks awesome agreed but missed most of last season through injury is he ready?
So Haaland, Alvarez and Palmer are a downgrade? Are you also ignoring the chance for Phillips to release Foden and/or KDB to play immediately behind Haaland or Alvarez too.
If you have no idea how he will adapt, how is it a huge downgrade?

Do people really not understand the replacement for sterling isn't Alvarez or palmer, it's Haaland? We are moving from a team with no strikers to a team with. We will be playing different type of football. Haaland was never going to join the same system and just add another player on the pitch - other players are shifted around. There won't be a need to play wingers down the middle, they'll have their time and space to play their parts in their comfortable positions. Grealish and foden will be able to play on the right now because they aren't needed as false 9's anymore.

I refuse to believe we aren’t going to be short if we go into next season with the same squad size as last season.

If they genuinely give Palmer and McAtee minutes then fine but if they don’t we could get into trouble.

We crawled over the line with a makeshift defense and had to throw away the fa cup again despite being 2 matches from winning it without really being badly affected. We ran for most ofbthe middle of the season with no injuries or covid issues that got us into a great position, but could have been very different if for 1 or 2 injuries.

Since end of last season: in Alvarez, Haaland, Phillips; out Jesus, Sterling, Fernandinho
I.e. no change to number of first team squad players

Assuming Sterling leaves and is not replaced we have 17 outfield players + youth.

Next season you can have 18 outfield players in every matchday squad. (11 starters plus 9 subs and assume 2 keepers). We cant even fill a squad with no injuries!

Say we get 3 injuries and/or suspensions at the same time which can be standard, we’ll then have 4 first teamers and 4 youth players on the bench. In a season where we can make 5 subs.

Maybe Pep will play the youth players? Not likely…

On the bench but hardly played last season
Wilson-Esbrand 6 times - 0 mins
Egan-Riley 7 times - 3 mins (5-0 vs Newcastle)
Lavia 9 times - 0 mins
Mbete 14 times - 0 mins
Mcatee 13 times - 18 mins (3-0 vs Everton and 4-0 vs Norwich)
Delap 3 times - 8 mins (4-0 vs Norwich)
Kayky 3 times - 6 mins (4-0 vs Norwich)
Palmer 23 times - 121 mins (starter home to everton, otherwise came on 5-0 vs Norwich, 2-0 vs Burnley and 4-0 vs Newcastle)

None of these guys even made a dent in the league last season.

Palmer will have to step up to a 20 appearances player to help share the minutes which is a huge step up from 1 start 3 sub appearances.

Essential to get 1 more body in and hopefully Cucarella is that player.

But I think theres plenty of room for another senior attacking player expecting to start half or more games and we could very quickly regret it if not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.