It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

You are comparing those players to Phillips, Gomez, Palmer, Perrone, Lewis and McAtee? Really? Zinchenko would be the only one on that list comparable to the ones I mentioned now. Sane and Sterling were both some of the best young prospects in the world, and were starters for elite teams (including us in 16/17), Bernardo who was amazing with a Monaco that was in UCL SF, Gabriel Jesus who was scoring like crazy when he arrived with us (he would be comparable to Alvarez), Foden who is a generational talent (Foden at 17-18 was already a better player than McAtee or Palmer now) and Danilo who was a squad member in Real Madrid!!

Are you being serious?

Bobb, Palmer, Lewis, McAtee, Perrone & Alvarez are easily Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Jesus & Zinny 16-17 level.

If they weren't.. Pep wouldn't be holding on them.. they'd be sold like Carlos Borges or Patrick Roberts from back then.

Last edited:
Palmer, Lewis, McAtee, Perrone & Alvarez are easily Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Jesus & Zinny 16-17 level.

If they weren't.. Pep wouldn't be holding on them.. they'd be sold like Carlos Borges or Patrick Roberts from back then.
Again, if you think Palmer, Lewis, McAtee, Perrone, Gomez and Phillips are comparable to Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Jesus and Danilo (16-17 versions of them)...there is just no point. But I would be genuinely curious if there is another person who thinks that is a good comparisson.

Again, if you think Phillips ...there is just no point. But I would be genuinely curious if there is another person who thinks that is a good comparisson.

Up to you but I'm not the one losing my mind screaming at Txiki.

I'm relaxed and happy to trust the process with Pep getting the chance to incorporate Bobb, McAtee, Lewis, and others into the squad.

That said I have never said Kalvin is up to the task.

Infact I've said this previously.. DM is the hardest position for City to recruit for and Pep has only trusted 4 people there - Yaya, Ferna, Gundo & Rodri.. all who're City legends.

So we do need a DM unless either Kovacic covers there, or Perrone who's a DM by trade is going to get a chance there, but for the most part Pep plays him as an 8 and not a 6.

P.S. If the kids you're dismissing are that bad.. Brighton, Benfica wouldn't want them. If they go there, in a year they'll be worth 70 mil +.. there's a big difference inbetween Kayky and McAtee

I still don't think Kalvin Phillips is a weak link at all. Although not in Rodri's class he can still fill in and can add a different dimension to our play (especially with Haaland). He happened to be signed during a unique season where the World Cup fell in December and he was injured when we signed him. His conditioning post World Cup didn't help matters with Pep but he managed to get back in shape enough for Pep to consider him in the cup games. Similar to Laporte the Japanese tour is an opportunity to get back into contention. Both haven't really pissed off Pep to the extent Cancelo had.

Last edited:
Don't completely dismiss Laporte he could easily get back in to contention. The Japanese tour is an ideal for him to get use to Pep's new system, he was still injured at the start of the treble winning season so didn't have time to fully get to grips. Assuming Gvardiol does arrive we still need cover.
He's slow and flat footed, that's why he can't play in this system, we witnessed a case of that in the game on Sunday.

He in every game has a mistake in him, that's what stops him becoming a great.

His passing is outstanding, very much world class for a CB.

He's slow and flat footed, that's why he can't play in this system, we witnessed a case of that in the game on Sunday.

He in every game has a mistake in him, that's what stops him becoming a great.

His passing is outstanding, very much world class for a CB.
See how he does vs Bayern. It was his first pre-season game back and the rest of our defending in that game left a lot to be desired (especially Akanji, Lewis and Ortega)

See how he does vs Bayern. It was his first pre-season game back and the rest of our defending in that game left a lot to be desired (especially Akanji, Lewis and Ortega)
He's been at the club long enough to know the player and his vulnerabilities.

As said he is a class act but his weakness is lack of pace and at times so flat footed, he get caught out easily when turned.

He's been at the club long enough to know the player and his vulnerabilities.

As said he is a class act but his weakness is lack of pace and at times so flat footed, he get caught out easily when turned.
He can still work on his positioning during the pre season to make up for the lack of speed. He can improve his mental sharpness as well. If he has a totally shit game vs Bayern and then Atleti Madrid then his chances of really getting back in have gone.

He can still work on his positioning during the pre season to make up for the lack of speed. He can improve his mental sharpness as well. If he has a totally shit game vs Bayern and then Atleti Madrid then his chances of really getting back in have gone.
He's 29, at his peak, he won't get better in fact as he ages his lack of pace could become more of an issue, added to some serious injuries he's had.

Maybe that's the reason we are happy to move him on and also why there is not a que of clubs chasing his signature, top class CB's are like rocking horse poo, yet Laporte seemingly has noone chasing his signature.

He's 29, at his peak, he won't get better in fact as he ages his lack of pace could become more of an issue, added to some serious injuries he's had.

Maybe that's the reason we are happy to move him on and also why there is not a que of clubs chasing his signature, top class CB's are like rocking horse poo, yet Laporte seemingly has noone chasing his signature.
Obviously your confusing being disfavored by Pep with ability and talent. I'm pretty sure Cancelo and Laporte have the skills that could prove valuable to other clubs. Of course Pep has the discretion to pick his squad but I'm not so simplistic as to consider manager's preferences that are partly based on off field events to be somehow indicative of players' abilities. That flies in the face of common sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.