It's Quiet 32 - enter at own risk

We used to play 442 and change both strikers at 60-70 minutes. We now play one striker and have several that can cover as a false 9.

Two is more than enough

Given Sterling especially plays a fair bit as second striker or a false 9 in a lot of our games too.

Why? I think it’s clear from the players we are targeting that we want to play considerably more often with wing backs instead of wingers. Cancelo and Angelino, added to Mendy, gives us that possibility. Plus, Sané is only our 3rd choice winger, so the change is to give more minutes to Mahrez and a change tactically to let Mendy/Angelino/Cancelo be the width more often. If we are wanting to play with wing backs more than we do currently, we should not be worried about losing a winger and gaining a wing back. If anything it gives us more flexibility.

I wouldn’t be looking at those potential signings to mean we’re going to a 5 at the back system. Angelino by all accounts is an opportunistic buy rather than a planned purchase with zero consequences given he provides cover in a problem position where there’s injury concerns, costs peanuts and doesn’t take up a squad space. Cancelo will only come as a direct replacement for Danilo if he choses to leave who is an attacking fullback himself and all reports are suggesting we’re not desperate to show him the door.

Granted that formation will be an option without relying on Mendy being fit but I doubt we will see it much if at all, it limits the amount of technicians Pep can get in the middle of the park at once, which we know from his own words he favours doing and why we’ve seen Bernardo out wide a lot and those weird experimental formations where we had about 6 central midfielders on the pitch at once against arsenal

Why? I think it’s clear from the players we are targeting that we want to play considerably more often with wing backs instead of wingers. Cancelo and Angelino, added to Mendy, gives us that possibility. Plus, Sané is only our 3rd choice winger, so the change is to give more minutes to Mahrez and a change tactically to let Mendy/Angelino/Cancelo be the width more often. If we are wanting to play with wing backs more than we do currently, we should not be worried about losing a winger and gaining a wing back. If anything it gives us more flexibility.

That’s poor wumming by your usual standards Trevor.

The bit where you said we’d be relying on Mendy, who’s proven over 2 seasons, is never fit was a whopper and it just went further downhill from there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.