It's quiet... summer 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't prevent the interest from Pep though.

Have to say that surprises me a bit (the injury record not preventing interest).

Thiago has missed 112 games and played 146 games for Bayern since arriving 5 seasons ago.

Pep has been hampered massively by injuries when it matters several times since leaving Barca, and he's already got Mendy, Kompany, Delph, Gundogan, Aguero and Jesus who are injury prone.

I guess he if he's genuinely interested then the quality of the player must trump the fact he's all but guaranteed to miss 20 games a season.

Have to say that surprises me a bit (the injury record not preventing interest).

Thiago has missed 112 games and played 146 games for Bayern since arriving 5 seasons ago.

Pep has been hampered massively by injuries when it matters several times since leaving Barca, and he's already got Mendy, Kompany, Delph, Gundogan, Aguero and Jesus who are injury prone.

I guess he if he's genuinely interested then the quality of the player must trump the fact he's all but guaranteed to miss 20 games a season.
Thiago does seem to be a favorite of Pep. I remember when Bayern bought him, after Pep's famous quote "I want Thiago or nobody".

Its pretty evident that we aren't necessarily buying players for our first team anymore, but because we believe we can ultimately make a profit on them. Mooy, Douglas Luiz, Lejeune, Mari, Moreno, Kayode, to name a few.

Some will work out very successfully, some might not, but they wont lose too much value in the meantime. We now view the transfer market as an investment opportunity.

Those aren't players bought to make a profit. At least I hope not because they're doing it badly if true.

There's a few things going on IMO.

Mooy was bought because he's a pilot case for showing Melbourne City can be a pathway to Europe for the best players in Australia/NZ. That makes them just about the most attractive club in the region - he couldn't get a move to England at all, then we bought him and offered him around and he got a great loan and future move. Other players have seen that and will want to go to Melbourne as a result. Profit not important, if it was we'd probably have loaned him to Huddersfield this season and sold him to the highest bidder this summer for 20-30m.

Lejeune, Mari, Kayode were bought as players good enough to help out the partner clubs at the time with the added benefit that they could improve to the level those partner clubs were trying to get to. They help Girona and Nac get to, and stay at a level good enough to help our academy players when they go there on loan. Profit not really important or likely.

Moreno, Herrera and Luiz were bought as part of an ongoing scouting for the next big South American thing, trying to get them early, get them adjusted to our style of football at a lower level and then if they fulfil that potential, have them before they cost 60/70/80m at 22/23 years old. Profit most likely if they do well, but also a big risk of them failing completely.

Thiago does seem to be a favorite of Pep. I remember when Bayern bought him, after Pep's famous quote "I want Thiago or nobody".

Yeah I remember "Thiago oder nichts". That was 5 years and 112 games missed through injury ago though.

Plus Pep didn't have the recent history of injuries derailing him in the CL which I would say happened this season, 14/15 and 15/16.

I mean thats exactly what I'm saying isn't it? He's not good enough to play for Girona so whats the point in having him there. We should be able to recall him immediately when he isn't getting games, otherwise the whole thing is pointless, and no Girona is not our club, CFG owns less than 50%. They're just an affiliate.

You are aware who owns the rest right? If we wanted to recall him we would.

Why spend 12m pound and buy him if he wasnt good enough even for Girona !
1. I've seen a lot of this recently... but Girona are a really good team. Not on our level obviously but being 10th in La Liga on their first season up (and flirting with the European spots a few weeks back) is a real accomplishment. That's hard to do!

2. Even so, we don't know if he's not good enough for them yet. He hasn't played much this season, true, but a big part of that was Machín sticking to the guys that brought him up early in the season and it working really well. It's very difficult to get into any team that's wildly outperforming expectations, and especially so in their midfield, where they're deepest.

3. You buy him because the guy is 19 and rated as one of the best teenagers in the world. He's playing for the first time outside of Brazil, it might take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.