It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have strengthened.

We signed Grealish, who was one of the top half dozen players in the league last season. We’ve brought Pamler into the first team on a new five year contract who will add squad depth and allow us to rest senior players at certain times, keeping them fresh for the bigger games.

Sterling has been bobbins for two years (despite scoring more goals than ever) but had a great Euros was looked well hungry when he came on the other day. Laporte was bobbins last season but looked great the other day. Jesus wants to tie down the right forward spot for himself and that battle between him and Mahrez for that position will be good for both of them and the team. Torres and Foden will be a year older and more experienced, both are bound to be much better players this season.
Lovely spin.

Hard not to get caught in frenzy of it all but on reflection that Ferdinand tweet summed up why I’m now happy it fell through. The sheer arrogance of it. Ronaldo and that club are perfectly suited. They are welcome to him though it is nothing more than a desperate Glazer PR stunt that will backfire over the next season or two. The Glazers never learn, they keep giving the fans what they want instead of following a strategy. It’s the main reason we’ve moved beyond them.

A bit of perspective is needed here. It was always said Ronaldo wasn't on our radar, & we only showed late interest after.

1. The Kane pursuit ended.

2. Because we'd only entertain Ronaldo if offered a fantastic, impossible to turn down deal.

City refused to pay a transfer fee, & we told Ronaldo to half his wage demands. There was always the risk of another club thinking "Fuck that! Ronaldo for £30m, & £25m per year for two years" & jumping in ahead of us to get him. It's an £80m investment for one of the greatest players of all time, & one who had an emotional attachment to the club who eventually landed him.

The lesson to be learned here were the unheeded warnings which started yesterday, that City may have been the preferred party, but that we weren't the ONLY interested party.

It was fuckin astonishing how many of us lost our marbles this morning when myself & others warned that we needed to look at the alternative reports that Ronaldo to City WAS NOT a done deal, & that many commentators were speculating that an 11th hour bid could topple our lukewarm interest.

This summer was all about Kane. Haaland & Mbappé were off the table, so outside of those two, realistically who were we left with as targets? No one really, so we ended up going against our recent transfer policy & started to consider the likes of Ronaldo & Lewandowski. Unless they were going to be given away, our recent history suggested both were highly unlikely signings, especially with clubs like PSG & ManUre hovering who've shown a willingness to think nothing of making these Hollywood signings.

The positives are we've still got our money in our pockets. We have Jesus, Torres & Delap & we were a couple of shit performances away from completing a historic quad last season. This season is gonna be a different proposition, but it is whatever the fuck it is. The pressure's now on to make the most of what we have & perhaps this may be the best thing that's happened to us.

Last season, Pep fucked about with some of our line ups, like a rich kid spoilt for choice with his toys. Right now we've got to make every game & every goal scored & saved count. The way we approached Chelsea the last three times we played them, & Leeds will probably reap the same rewards this season, when last season Guardiola thought we had more than enough in reserve to cope.

We've got three days left to do something about replacing Aguero, if we even bother trying. We're a left back down too, so perhaps it's time to address that problem position, & have faith in the forwards we have.

I'm fuckin gutted we didn't get Kane or Ronaldo, but it is what it is. I'll be behind the team 100% as always, & perhaps I can find a little bit more on match days to make up for the lack of a superstar striker replacement for Aguero.

Funnily enough, I'm less worried about Aguero's replacement than I was the season where we failed to replace Vinny. It'll be interesting to see what Torres & Delap are made of now the spotlight is probably going to be on them for a season.

Something has gone on behind the scenes. Guardiola didn't make an error saying he was leaving when his contract was up, & he didn't sound too convincing trying to explain it away in today's press conference. He looked downbeat when asked about Ronaldo, whilst OGS had a sly knowing grin on his face during his presser. I've got a feeling deep down that here's more to this summer transfer window than we all know.

Sorry for the long post, but I just feel I've got to get a few things off my chest & make sense of what's happened these last 48 hours. My feeling is tomorrow's lunchtime kick off will tell us a lot about how our season will pan out. Look out for Guardiola's demeanour, & how the squad reacts. It could be a case of 'We've lost it already' OR 'RIGHT! Let's show these fuckers what City are made of.' Hopefully it's the latter.... )(

Last edited:
We have strengthened.

We signed Grealish, who was one of the top half dozen players in the league last season. We’ve brought Pamler into the first team on a new five year contract who will add squad depth and allow us to rest senior players at certain times, keeping them fresh for the bigger games.

Sterling has been bobbins for two years (despite scoring more goals than ever) but had a great Euros was looked well hungry when he came on the other day. Laporte was bobbins last season but looked great the other day. Jesus wants to tie down the right forward spot for himself and that battle between him and Mahrez for that position will be good for both of them and the team. Torres and Foden will be a year older and more experienced, both are bound to be much better players this season.

We will definitely create more chances. Which going by past history we won’t take. It’s fantastic to have so many talented creators but all the best sides have forwards that take that one chance in tight games. Our best finisher is probably Foden who’s not a striker by any means.

We have strengthened.

It's the same squad really. We added a top player but in a position that didn't need strengthening.

Strengthening would be getting a striker, a left back and a defensive midfielder. Positions that actually needed strengthening.

You really expect to win the champions league with Torres up front?

This does feel like a bit of a kick in the teeth by our own club. They could of just come out and said it's not happening, instead alot of us jumped in the band wagon and maybe we only have our own selves to blame but we've paid £100M for someone we didn't need. I'll get over it eventually but this transfer window has been poor on so many levels
Maybe they wanted that attention to draw everyone’s eyes away from Mendy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.