Ivan Mauger R.I.P

You got me wondering, checked up and it was the oil, you can sometimes get a similar aroma when a motorbike passes on the street, assume they must have added some.

"
FUELS & OILS
Only pure methanol is used to fuel the bikes, because methanol makes it possible to use a higher compression ratio than with other fuels, resulting in high engine power outputs. The typical speedway smell doesn’t come from the methanol but from the castor oil (vegetable oil) based engine oil. Some of the latest synthetic racing oils also give this irresistible racing atmosphere."

http://amsa.me.uk/what-is-speedway/

Hmm. I never got that smell from any of my bikes and only ever smelled it at speedway.
Been to a few superbike meets as well and not smelled it.
Either way, it was a lovely smell.
Edit. I'm reading that it was "Castrol R" oil in particular that gave off that smell.

Hmm. I never got that smell from any of my bikes and only ever smelled it at speedway.
Been to a few superbike meets as well and not smelled it.
Either way, it was a lovely smell.
Edit. I'm reading that it was "Castrol R" oil in particular that gave off that smell.

Yeah somebody mentioned that in post#17;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.