I've Ditched Sky - What Are My Options?

I've seen these amazon firesticks advertised, anyone got any info on these? They are approx £60 on ebay and say fully loaded.

I've seen these amazon firesticks advertised, anyone got any info on these? They are approx £60 on ebay and say fully loaded.

Not too bad, but for that amount, may be better to go for a slightly more powerful Android TV box. It'll run quicker, and it's piss easy to install all this stuff on yourself. They're essentially using the Amazon name to charge more. What you get may say Amazon on the side, but the Fire TV Stick can't run Kodi without serious changes to the software. I'd recommend this instead if you're not comfortable doing it yourself - more powerful, and much more flexible: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-Media...968?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d2860fa50

The firestick tv says it has kodi already installed and looks like you just plug it in and go. Is this android box the same then as in a plug in and go? Like you say it looks better allround and not just paying for the amazon name. Thanks for the info btw.

The firestick tv says it has kodi already installed and looks like you just plug it in and go. Is this android box the same then as in a plug in and go? Like you say it looks better allround and not just paying for the amazon name. Thanks for the info btw.

nowt wrong with an Amazon Fire TV stick I have one set up right they run smoothly as any box

What is the best Freeview + box out there? just cancelled my Sky.

Looking for the same rewind and record features the Sky box has.

I used to have a HUMAX hd recordable freeview box. Really good quality, hd channels too. I found it really good, smart looking box and easy to use.

Yep all set up and ready to go. There are loads of different add-ons, so you can install more afterwards as well. Check out the "XBMC/ Kodi" thread for all the different things these can do.

This has the benefit of also having the option to change SD cards, which means that you can install other things on different memory cards, and switch them out whenever you want. For example, there will be a free version of Windows 10 for the Raspberry Pi, meaning you could have a separate card with that on, and use your TV as a fully functional PC, with web browsing, emails, social media, MS Office, the lot.

FreeSAT might be your best option because it just plugs into your dish as your old Sky box did. The latest Humax box has a load of features to give you things like BBC iPLayer etc., or just go with a cheaper version as you can always pick up a NowTV box for next to nothing to give you these functions and access to occasional PPV. Have a look at www.joinfreesat.co.uk. Although not sure if the free BT Sport games will be on there as they will on Freeview.

Personally I gave in and renewed my Sky for another year at 50% off. Just downgraded to the lowest package and Sport, so £22.50 per month. No HD except for the free ones, but I can live with that. I pay my mum's line rental for her with BT so get access to them for free. Much less hassle than all this streaming lark.

What dodgy boxes are there out there that will stream a virgin xl tv package amount of channels?

I'm thinking of ditching everything and just keeping the broadband.
At the moment I just Chromecast streams from my tablet or phone for films from cartoon hd or news source (liveonlinefooty) for football.

It seems to stream better from my Samsung galaxy s5 phone than my Samsung galaxy pro tablet oddly enough and I find that Chromecast can crash during a film which is a bit annoying as you have to get up and reboot the thing.

Anyone else?

I haven't read through this so forgive me if this has been asked.

What's the script with using an openbox if I already have a subscription to sky? We have multi room (long story but basically I run and live in a pub, flats above you get the picture)

Tied to sky but want an openbox in of the studios.

PM if necessary

Cheers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.