Jack Butland

I honestly can't say if he is or isn't as I've probably only ever seen him when against us and I don't remember ever thinking that his footwork was great or not.
I do know that Hart was way below average even when it wasn't deemed that important under previous managers.
I wasn't argueing about joe as such just responding to someone who said pickford is better,none of them are anywhere near what pep wants including joe

I've posted this before but I'll do it again. Butland's representitives have had talks with City. This was about 3 months ago - not sure if it was exploratory or firming things up

I honestly can't say if he is or isn't as I've probably only ever seen him when against us and I don't remember ever thinking that his footwork was great or not.
I do know that Hart was way below average even when it wasn't deemed that important under previous managers.
Being good with your feet for a keeper isn't really about how good your passing is, it's mainly about composure tbh and English keepers don't have that, hell, English defenders don't even have it. Even now John Stones gets constantly berated for not panicking and hoofing it every time an attacker gets within ten yards of him, so it's not surprising we don't produce keepers who are calm with the ball. I keep hearing about how great Pickford is with his feet, but from what I've seen he's even more panicked than Joe, he's just a lot more accurate at long balls. (it would be hard to be worse, given Joe's love of finding touch)

Being good with your feet for a keeper isn't really about how good your passing is, it's mainly about composure tbh and English keepers don't have that, hell, English defenders don't even have it. Even now John Stones gets constantly berated for not panicking and hoofing it every time an attacker gets within ten yards of him, so it's not surprising we don't produce keepers who are calm with the ball. I keep hearing about how great Pickford is with his feet, but from what I've seen he's even more panicked than Joe, he's just a lot more accurate at long balls. (it would be hard to be worse, given Joe's love of finding touch)
That is true, fans need to adapt to it too, skidmarks have increased at the Etihad this season "Get rid, get rid!!!".

If you want the best english keeper then butland is without question the only option...he's good all round too, feet, distribution, and arguably the best shot stopper in the league.

If you want a keeper that can play CM in his own time then you go foreign.

This feet thing gets annoying after a while because besides neuer every goalkeeper who is good with their feet seem shite with their hands!!! I personally want a keeper who can save shots! Lol

Buffon,Handanovic,Ter Stegan,Lloris etc

I feel like going against the grain on this one, I actually think Butland is a very very good keeper, even when Joe was with us I could see Butland pushing him close for ENG No1 soon. As for the distribution thing, I think being schooled at Stoke probably wont help, but personally I don't believe ball at feet skill was the reason, at least not the main reason why Joe was replaced anyway.

I've posted this before but I'll do it again. Butland's representitives have had talks with City. This was about 3 months ago - not sure if it was exploratory or firming things up
I'v heard the same off a Stokie in Congleton this morning

I'm not knocking Butland's ability but he just come back from a lengthy injury and he is not the best option.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.