James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

I’m not sure you understand. People are staying how our academy players could sometimes look at their opponents of the same age and wonder if they could be doing the same. For example Tommy Doyle was rated on a similar level if not higher at some stages, to Mason Greenwood. Doyle is now on loan in the Bundesliga 2 after two seasons of PL2 football while Greenwood has been breaking club records all because he was given the chance. I don’t doubt that at some point doyle and maybe others have thought to themselves I wonder if I got my chance elsewhere like these guys.
so we agree here, I think?

Well we will see over the course of the season. I think we will probably play enough games that both can be facilitated, giving first teamers minutes as well as the most promising academy kids. It does not have to be one or the other.

I think there has been games historically where we have not given the kids a chance where we have been coasting and not used our full complement of subs.

For Mcatee he appears to have started the season so well, like anyone in life, its desirable to see a pathway to progress. As he has not gone on loan, as yet, the only other option is to make the bridge into the first team. It would undoubtedly make him a better player, more likely to sign a new contract and in some instances be more ‘valuable’ than bringing on a first teamer for 20 mins, when they played only a couple of days ago.

I would stick the caveat in it is early in the season so I can see the reasons why the likes of KDB/Foden and soon Gundogan will dominate minutes from the bench or start against Wycombe etc, but over the course of the season I hope he sees a bit of game time.
This is it for me - I want the likes of McAtee to be given a chance as much as anyone, but the fixtures we've had so far haven't exactly been friendly for a youngster to come in (especially after losing the first game of the season).

Palmer played the last 20 minutes vs Norwich which was perfect to give him a bit more experience, hopefully over the next few weeks if we're in more dominating positions in home games (Burnley, Palace both coming up) then we'll see McAtee given minutes.

I can only speak from who I know at the club and they see McAtee as having a big future at City.

This whole thing feels like a leak from McAtee's agent to put pressure on City to up their offer to me though with the timing of it.

It's frustrating because we know the pathway young players under Pep need to take and it feels as though McAtee isn't near that yet - when you consider how long it really took Foden. THB played a few games and is now back out on loan.

Hope we can keep him but I wouldn't be surprised if he's given Brighton some form of encouragement. Like others have said, though...£8m! Bellends.

Think I heard about a year ago that he was at the Rags academy in his very early development but he never ever wanted to be there cos he's a fellow blue, his older brother John (plays for someone like Scunthorpe I think or did) is a Rag fan and James McAtee is a City fan but their dad wasn't taking both sons to different academy's... and seeing as his older brother was already with them James was forced to join them too until the Rags released his brother.

At which point James informed his dad he wanted to leave immediately to be with us, honestly not sure exactly where I heard this or if it's the wrong info but that's what I was lead to believe that he's defo a blue.

I believe it was his dad who made the decision for James to leave as United had released John.

I believe it was his dad who made the decision for James to leave as United had released John.
I've always had the impression James McAtee was a blue and was forced to be at the rags with his brother, I've seen others say otherwise and thinks his dad pulled him out the rags academy in sour grapes kinda way, for some reason I always thought he was a blue even before his brother got released and it was ingrained in my mind over a year ago.. I heard that he hated being at the rags but can't remember where exactly or who told me that, I'd honestly like to hear it straight from James himself though cos there seems to be a few who've heard both versions.

I may be reading into this too much but this is the type of thing Pep is subtly good at. He’s listed a few academy players but seemingly missed out McAtee despite his reputation. I’m sure he did a few things like this with Sancho too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.