James

I was a big fan in the 80s too and went off them when they started doing anthems during the Madchester years. Went to some great gigs before then and danced on the stage on more than one occasion during the encore. I went to loads of gigs when they toured with Happy Mondays as support when they were still brilliant as I loved both bands. 1988 I think that would have been. Saw them another time earlier with Inspiral Carpets supporting. During that pre-Madchester era they were the second biggest Manchester band after New Order (after the smiths had split of course). Good times.

I might do this gig myself.
You were probably at some of the same gigs as me, then. From memory: Platt Fields, Salford Uni, Ritz (3 times...once with the Mondays in 88...best one or me), Green Room, Manchester Town Hall....
Yeah, the Gmex concert in 1990 was like a farewell gig for me....I lost interest when thy went all Simple Minds on us!

You were probably at some of the same gigs as me, then. From memory: Platt Fields, Salford Uni, Ritz (3 times...once with the Mondays in 88...best one or me), Green Room, Manchester Town Hall....
Yeah, the Gmex concert in 1990 was like a farewell gig for me....I lost interest when thy went all Simple Minds on us!
Did either of you ever see trainset? I only ask as I know the guitarist. He is a top lad, tells me tales of when they toured with james and the mondays.

Did either of you ever see trainset? I only ask as I know the guitarist. He is a top lad, tells me tales of when they toured with james and the mondays.
Nah...I don't remember the name.

hold on...just checked them out on YouTube...I remember this song:

Decent too. I can't recall seeing them, though.

Rememember them at The Ritz a couple of times and I think one was with Inspirals with their old singer. I think I got on stage on that one. Saw them at the Hac too.

For old times sake I went to see them in London about two years ago. It was OK. I liked Stutter and they did a Buzzcocks cover in tribute to Pete Shelley

Rememember them at The Ritz a couple of times and I think one was with Inspirals with their old singer. I think I got on stage on that one. Saw them at the Hac too.

For old times sake I went to see them in London about two years ago. It was OK. I liked Stutter and they did a Buzzcocks cover in tribute to Pete Shelley
That was the first time I saw the Carpets - those mad swirling cows projected onto a screen behind them... wondering what the fuck was that about lol

For me, James are The Great Misunderstood Band. I genuinely believe that if they were around in the 70s, they would be considered alongside Bowie and Floyd. Even the likes of Brian Eno regard them to be of this standard (e.g. he describes the first time he heard Sometimes as being the highest moment of his musical life).

I consider the likes of Seven and Laid to be among the very finest records I've ever heard (and I listen to a lot of music). As for live performance, they are simply up there on their own. Having been to thousands of gigs, I can tell you that a James performance exists in its own place as an experience almost separate from music; there's something there that I've never got from any other artist.

I could never truly express my feelings about this band. I see them as having a lot in common with The Velvet Underground: pure, singular artistry that's incomparable to anything else, and hugely under-appreciated, misunderstood and misrepresented. I can imagine, 20 years from now, the world waking up and seeing just what this bunch of lads from Manchester (and Bradford) achieved over 4+ decades.

That was the first time I saw the Carpets - those mad swirling cows projected onto a screen behind them... wondering what the fuck was that about lol
I remember the backdrop but I actually don't remember it being cows, although I might be wrong. I thought they came later? I can sort of remember it being "Inspriral Carpets" in a swirl, if you know what I mean. Granted, The FAll had a similar backdrop so there might be two clashing memories here. I already liked them, maybe from one of those Manchester North Of England cassettes. What I remember 100% is that it was before they changed the singer. I'm going to have a quick did around to find the date if I can. I'd guess 1988.

I remember the backdrop but I actually don't remember it being cows, although I might be wrong. I thought they came later? I can sort of remember it being "Inspriral Carpets" in a swirl, if you know what I mean. Granted, The FAll had a similar backdrop so there might be two clashing memories here. I already liked them, maybe from one of those Manchester North Of England cassettes. What I remember 100% is that it was before they changed the singer. I'm going to have a quick did around to find the date if I can. I'd guess 1988.
Yes it was definitely Stephen Holt. If I recall James had just released Sit Down the first time around when it wasn't a hit.
Tom came in as singer early 89

Yes it was definitely Stephen Holt. If I recall James had just released Sit Down the first time around when it wasn't a hit.
Tom came in as singer early 89
This is very strange. I've just been through the entire James gigography from that era and can only find one Manchester gig with the Inspirals as support, and that was at the Free Trade Hall. It definitely wasn't that one because I only went to one gig there and that was The Mondays big one. I'm starting to doubt myself now because I have a pretty much photogenic memory for gigs and City. I did see a lot of bands back in that era.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.