Jamie Tregaskiss:Man City's extraordinary amputee footballer

The Light Was Yellow Sir

Saw this online in the Irish News (link at bottom of story) and realised that, despite some of the disagreements seen on here, many of us have more reasons to be thankful than not. It puts a few things into perspective. What a man.

When Jamie Tregaskiss was 10 years old, he was scouted by Manchester City of the Premier League and his dream of playing professional football was off to a promising start.

At age 13, due to an incredibly rare form of cancer, Jamie had his left leg amputated. Now 21, he has endured circumstances few teenagers, or adults, could overcome and is still doing what he loves – playing football for City and his country.
Jamie’s journey began whilst he was on the books at City’s academy. A leap off an eight foot wall at his school left him with two sprained ankles and weeks in crutches.

Concerns were raised when Jamie’s started feeling a pain in his left hip. A scan and X-ray showed no problem, but soon he began losing weight rapidly and suffering from fatigue and a biopsy and further tests revealed the reality of his condition.

Jamie was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a bone cancer which according to charity Children With Cancer affects only about 30 children a year. Only just a teenager, he was left having to decide between losing his leg or his life.
“I took to it quite quick, I got used to it, and I started playing again and it started from there,” said Jamie. “Now I’m going on tournaments, travelling the world and representing Man City, and that’s pretty cool! I’m really proud of myself.”

In a few weeks, City’s Amputee team travels to Abu Dhabi to play in the Football Is More tournament. Eight teams representing the world will play and City’s team will represent England, with Jamie at the helm.

Jamie is part of Universal Channel’s brand initiative “Characters Uncovered”, which aims to highlight individuals in the UK who inspire others through their character and determination to succeed in life.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/866538794?-1808:813:0

Great story, when he returns from the tournament get him on the pitch before a game at the Ethiad and use the big screens to show some footage of it. Not enough of us know about City's other teams and he is inspirational and could be a brilliant role model, if more people knew about him.

Fucking hell, what a warrior this lad is.
Full respect to him for overcoming his battle and achieving what he has.

Would like to watch him and the team he plays for play.

I've trained with the England amputee football team and have witnessed the quality of these players first hand. It's remarkable what they're able to do and it's something that should be recognised more in the media. I tore my cruciates just before a World Cup in Brazil about 8 years ago which meant that I haven't been back since but I have great memories of good times with great blokes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.