Janice Long RIP

How come? And no, I'm not wumming. Did he have some issue with the thin white Duke?
In 1995, Morrissey agreed to open up for his hero on the European leg of Bowie’s Outside tour, but after getting a poor reception from crowds and critics, quit early on, citing an “illness” that didn’t stop him from touring Japan on his own a couple weeks later. He would go on to claim he was under pressure from The Dame to submit to a segueway segment that would have seen the two artists sing each other’s songs between their respective sets in order to “win over” the Morrissey faithful. While it’s certainly true that that was Bowie’s initial plan, however calculating that sounds, that’s expressly not the reason Moz left the tour.

Never one to forget a rejection, in 2006, Bowie declined an offer from his veteran producer Tony Visconti to bury the hatchet and team up with the Manchester One for a version of the Righteous Brothers’ You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling for his Visconti-produced album Ringleader Of The Tormentors. “I loved this idea, but David wouldn’t budge,” Morrissey said in 2014. “I know I’ve criticised David in the past, but it’s all been snot-nosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that.”

Bowie went on to reject Morrissey’s proposal to use a photo of the two of them for EMI’s reissue of The Last Of The Famous International Playboys in 2013, so perhaps he didn’t quite understand “junior high ribbing.”

Also at a gig at the MEN Arena in 2016 Morrissey paid tribute to those who had passed away that year.... "Carloine Ahern, Victoria Wood... Prince...."
No Bowie

In 1995, Morrissey agreed to open up for his hero on the European leg of Bowie’s Outside tour, but after getting a poor reception from crowds and critics, quit early on, citing an “illness” that didn’t stop him from touring Japan on his own a couple weeks later. He would go on to claim he was under pressure from The Dame to submit to a segueway segment that would have seen the two artists sing each other’s songs between their respective sets in order to “win over” the Morrissey faithful. While it’s certainly true that that was Bowie’s initial plan, however calculating that sounds, that’s expressly not the reason Moz left the tour.

Never one to forget a rejection, in 2006, Bowie declined an offer from his veteran producer Tony Visconti to bury the hatchet and team up with the Manchester One for a version of the Righteous Brothers’ You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling for his Visconti-produced album Ringleader Of The Tormentors. “I loved this idea, but David wouldn’t budge,” Morrissey said in 2014. “I know I’ve criticised David in the past, but it’s all been snot-nosed junior high ribbing on my part. I think he knows that.”

Bowie went on to reject Morrissey’s proposal to use a photo of the two of them for EMI’s reissue of The Last Of The Famous International Playboys in 2013, so perhaps he didn’t quite understand “junior high ribbing.”
Never heard that before. Taking it at face value, it sounds like it's mainly M********'s "fault" (for want of a better word). The idea to have him as an opening act on the Bowie tour was crass. Bowie fans were never going to take to him. Totally different musical styles. It's akin to Jedward opening for Metallica. Then, to tour Japan after citing illness when pulling out of the Bowie tour. Hmm. I can understand how it wouldn't look good. And yes; I fully understand that you'll defend M. I have no problem with that. And, seriously, I'm not having my usual petty dig.

Never heard that before. Taking it at face value, it sounds like it's mainly M********'s "fault" (for want of a better word). The idea to have him as an opening act on the Bowie tour was crass. Bowie fans were never going to take to him. Totally different musical styles. It's akin to Jedward opening for Metallica. Then, to tour Japan after citing illness when pulling out of the Bowie tour. Hmm. I can understand how it wouldn't look good. And yes; I fully understand that you'll defend M. I have no problem with that. And, seriously, I'm not having my usual petty dig.
I think the idea was a good one. Bowie fans may not be Morrissey fans but on the whole M fans are fans of Bowie.
The issue (not mentioned above) was that Bowie would come on, they would do a song of their own together and M would disappear. M wasn't happy about that as he felt neither he or his band would get any chance to thank / be thanked by his fans and that Bowie was denying him that.
Incidently I didn't buy a ticket for joint tour at the MEN Arena as I saw Bowie at Maine Road (Glass Spider tour 87) and it was shite - and at £25 a ticket (1996) I wasn't having that at all. Thankfully Moz was off the tour by the time Bowie rocked up at the MEN Arena so I didn't miss him.... M fans were offered a refund and it was not a full venue by any means when Bowie took to the stage

Sad new to hear. A really talented old school presenter, TV or radio. Not just a faceless blah blah blah 'deejay' like many, not just back then but the norn nowadays .... She knew her stuff.

A great champion of my beloved Icicle Works in their early days. She even wrote the foreward to Ian McNabb's autobiography, Merseybeast ... he will likely be gutted at the news of her passing. Sadly serving time in FB prison again right now ... :D

Last edited:
Great presenter back in the day
Jovial knowledgeable voice.

Best moment for me,and I,'ll never forget it..Janice played Cascade by Siouxsie and the Banshees,early 80s..I had a little transistor radio,the reception was sketchy...drifting in and out...all I could hear was this wailing soaring voice in between attrional guitar and drums...drifting in and out...I Stood completely still and listened to the intriguing, addictive,magnificent ..but sketchy... sound cascading around my bedroom.
It was a moment.

I Love The Banshees.

Thank you Janice Long.
Rip.
Nice words mate.

RIP Janice, so Long x

Been listening to Greatest hits radio recently and noticed her weekend show has been presented by a stand in the last few weeks. Now I know why.

She was a champion of music and didn't have any snobbishness about her musical taste, to her good music was music regardless of the genre.

She also seemed like the kind of woman who you could get absolutely blind drunk with and talk broken biscuits all night and have a good laugh.

Broadcasting legend.

RIP.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.