Jason Denayer

At the time of which signing? Mangala was signed long before and had already been a disaster.

Check your timeline.

We were looking to offload Mangala because he was shit and Denayer was his intended replacement.
Nope we signed Mangala and loaned Denayer out to Celtic earlier on in that season and quite correctly gave our expensive signing a chance to try and settle.

Last edited:
Nope we signed Mangala and loaned Denayer out to Celtic earlier on in that season and quite correctly gave our expensive signing a chance to try and settle.
I'm talking about when Denayer came back with a very good reputation from his loan, and Mangala had proved to be one of our worst ever signings.

Denayer and VVD could have been an exceptional pairing at City. The club not offloading Mangala was an expensive mistake imo.

I'm talking about when Denayer came back with a very good reputation from his loan, and Mangala had proved to be one of our worst ever signings.

Denayer and VVD could have been an exceptional pairing at City. The club not offloading Mangala was an expensive mistake imo.
Denayer still wouldn't of gotten a look in. Mangala came with a good reputation as well and we gave him a chance with him being a senior defender. Denayer wouldn't of made it in the way we set up our defence under either Pellegrini or Guardiola.

Denayer still wouldn't of gotten a look in. Mangala came with a good reputation as well. Denayer wouldn't of made it in the way we set up our defence.
Not sure why you say that. From memory VVD was not the number 1 at Celtic, he only started to outshine Denayer after the pairing was split up and VVD went to Bournemouth.

Not sure why you say that. From memory VVD was not the number 1 at Celtic, he only started to outshine Denayer after the pairing was split up and VVD went to Bournemouth.
Still not enough to displace Mangala or Otamendi the next season. And the season after that we signed Stones

Last edited:
Denayer still wouldn't of gotten a look in. Mangala came with a good reputation as well and we gave him a chance with him being a senior defender. Denayer wouldn't of made it in the way we set up our defence under either Pellegrini or Guardiola.
Mangala had a very mixed reputation, an undoubted talent but widely inconsistent, several top clubs looked at him but took it no further, we bit the bullet and went for him, a hugely costly error sadly.

Still not enough to displace Mangala or Otamendi the next season. And the season after that we signed Stones
I give up Ray... I'd just sign out of this bit of the thread by saying that I'm probably a better footballer now, at 67, than Eliaquim Mangala ever was at City. He was poor. A fine athlete in the wrong sport.

I have fond memories of Deyayer a real prospect but i thought he left because he wanted to play at cener back and we wanted him to play at right back, he did have a new contract on the table, it is a pity he has played superb and we could have used him, he is finished now even being stil young.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.