Jason Wilcox has been appointed City under 18s manager

Oohvonkyvonky

Bloody hell....That's unexpected!! He was a decent player but a bit of a stange appointment?!

The former Blackburn, Leeds, Leicester and Blackpool winger has a wealth of footballing experience to draw on and has already been a key part of the City academy set up as coach of the under 13 side that swept all before them in 2012/13.

After being released by the Blues as a teenager, Jason came through the youth system at Rovers where he featured in an FA Youth Cup final, before making over 300 appearances for the senior team and tasting league title success in 1995

Now, the former England international is excited to take on a new challenge with the City under 18 side and pass on his knowledge at this crucial stage of their footballing development.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity for me and a great privilege,” he revealed. “Everyone is talking about Manchester City and to have this role now as we look to move forward into the new complex is fantastic. I’m looking forward to the season ahead.

“It’s a really exciting for time for the boys and hopefully I can pass my experiences – good and bad – onto the players. Many years ago I was here as a 15 year old and now it’s almost come full circle.”

A new group of first year scholars signed on for the Blues on Saturday ahead of their first week in this thrilling new chapter of their lives.

I think he was the u14 coach which by all accounts were fantastic last season.

He wouldn't have been put in place unless he could do the job!

PaleBlue said:
Great appointment - a player who made the very best of what he had. Rovers fans love him still.

Actually a lot of them treated him like garbage for no good reason. No surprise there.

He's won a title medal at least. He's probably better at coaching than some players who have done that and automatically get a first team manager role.

Vinjay said:
PaleBlue said:
Great appointment - a player who made the very best of what he had. Rovers fans love him still.

Actually a lot of them treated him like garbage for no good reason. No surprise there.

He's won a title medal at least. He's probably better at coaching than some players who have done that and automatically get a first team manager role.

Just to back that comment up before the usual people come along...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Wilcox+rocket.-a061099496

Vinjay said:
PaleBlue said:

They did, early on but he won a lot of the Rovers fans I know over. "Handbags" Wilcox and Ripley gave them the width and he was instrumental when they won the title. I guess even he would admit to not being super-talented and that's why it's a good appointment - he knows where graft will get you when talent lets you down.

1997 wasn't early on (as link above shows) though you're partly correct. He finally snapped and gestured at them after putting up with undeserved abuse for years.

Vinjay said:
1997 wasn't early on (as link above shows) though you're partly correct. He finally snapped and gestured at them after putting up with undeserved abuse for years.

We've been there with Edgehill. That Wilcox stuck to it and has done well with the kids (they're the future ya kna) here I think it bodes well. Nice to see the club promoting from within, sends a good message.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.