Jesus offside goal vs West Ham - Explanation in the Mail

VAR should be used where clear and obvious errors are made. Mms should not come into it...unless it’s to penalise certain teams of course.

It's all bollocks. The Spirit of the game is dead. Money rules, betting rules, corruption rules, tv rules, pencilnecks rule, administrators rule, G14 still has influence and fat cats (agents, media cronies and FIFA, UEFA, world confederations) all gorge on the game that belonged to a working class man. Fuck em all. Can I get a ticket for a final if I'm a loyal fan who cant afford a season ticket (Hyperthetically as I do have a SC)? The answer is no. Can i get a ticket for an away game? Emphatically no unless I know someone who knows someone. Even as a SC holder for nearly 30 years myself who couldn't afford all the ticket schemes because I used the money to get my daughter a SC, not even I have enough points to get anywhere near a popular away game. Just because someone has more money than a working class fan doesn't make them more loyal. A final with so many corporates just makes me angry that these corporate hangers on who dont turn up until midway thru the 2nd half, have taken away the opportunity for a born and bred generational fan or family.

The spirit is gone folks, it sacrificed itself for the God of £€$.

Sorry rant over, not specifically about VAR but then the spirit if the game isnt just about VAR, this has just become the cherry on top of the cake.

Last edited:
VAR should be used where clear and obvious errors are made. Mms should not come into it...unless it’s to penalise certain teams of course.
VAR shouldn't be used at all in football match, goal line tech was fine it's black and white ball over the line or not but when one frame of a picture shows a player to be onside and 1/100th of a second later he's off then sorry it's useless in determining which is the correct decision, If we're going to have bent officiating then might as well be someone I can vent my frustration on at the game.

Whilst it is a good explanation by the Mail it fails to address one point. If the attacker is wearing a media darling top he is deemed to be onside, if the attacker is in a dirty arab oil money top he is deemed to be offside (and a human rights abuser). As I keep saying, the rags and the dippers would never have had the Jesus goal v West Ham or Spurs disallowed. Never.

An explanation in the Mail of how that decision come about and the huge problem with it, now they've had time to look into it.

Basically the final point of contact from Silva to Sterling was lost. They had a frame when Silva was playing the ball with Sterling over 10cm's onside and they used the frame where the ball had already gone where he was 2.5cm offside. Losing the point where it was actually played.

In the 0.02 seconds between frames Sterling had moved around 13cm's.

So they're not even using sufficient enough equipment to make these calls.

Exactly. And all they need to do is say in the rules that if it's not categorical, then either the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker, or we go with the decision of the on field officials. But they won't do that, because as we all know, VAR is infallible. What they do now is say that the frame they have is the one they use, which is equally fair enough, but they shouldn't try and act like it is a black and white decision when it's just as subject to flaws as asking a linesman to decide.

The system is fundamentally flawed until replaced by high resolution video systems which operate at higher fps. 60 Frames per second is available and used in industrial optical inspection systems and could be deployed in VAR if high speed networks were available. It’s still not perfect but higher FPS translates to more accurate position resolution.

VAR needs 60 FPS video connected to a facility within the ground via high speed direct fibre connections. This could easily be implemented using a facility similar to the post production trucks used by the TV broadcasters, these are the lorries that we see parked up outside the ground.
60fps is nothing. Almost all of the cameras they currently use can likely already do that. Most consumer cameras and even some phones can records 120fps, albeit at a lower resolution. I think Sky already record in 50fps, they just don't broadcast it because it takes up more bandwidth. But you could easily have proper high speed cameras recording 6,000 - 20,000fps especially for VAR. Or we could much more easily accept that there's a margin of error and therefore go with the linesman's decision unless VAR can conclusively prove otherwise.

VAR shouldn't be used at all in football match, goal line tech was fine it's black and white ball over the line or not but when one frame of a picture shows a player to be onside and 1/100th of a second later he's off then sorry it's useless in determining which is the correct decision, If we're going to have bent officiating then might as well be someone I can vent my frustration on at the game.
100% agree
Problem with VAR is it can be manipulated in a number of ways to affect the result.
It is subjective not objective like goal line technology is.

For me, there’s too many fine intricacies for VAR to be used, with the poor technology, for goals.

It should be used for red card and penalty incidents only.

NO VAR FOR GOALS!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.