Jimmy Wagg hangs up his microphone on Saturdays after 31 years

Is it because he’s suffering from “date of birth disease”?

I like Jimmy Wagg, seems like a friendly and fair sort of bloke.

The last couple of seasons it seems like GMR have completely changed their coverage, City barely get a mention in pre-match and it’s all about Rochdale and Bury.

With the culling of Ian Cheeseman and now Jimmy Wagg, I can safely say I’ll never be tuning in again. Not as any kind of protest, but I’ve only ever listened to that station for City coverage and they’ve seemingly decided to stop covering City.

Is this change in editorial stance related to Dan Roan’s ongoing war with the club?

Roans ban has been lifted. Mine you I hope it will be re introduced again after the BBC headlines when CAS released the 93 page report, which will of been sanctioned by this cùnt.

He said on the show last week that at the start of the season he told everyone at Radio Manchester that this would be his last season doing the show, confirmed it again today. Has done the show for 31 years without ever missing one Saturday which is something in itself. He is still doing a show on Sunday.
Jimmy has had his critics but I found him really good to listen to with his various catchphrases such as "Where would you rather be", "every egg a bird", " since Adam was a lad" and " On their own midden"

Not forgetting "don't sit there like piffy on a rock bun "!

Roans ban has been lifted. Mine you I hope it will be re introduced again after the BBC headlines when CAS released the 93 page report, which will of been sanctioned by this cùnt.
I always thought we got ok coverage from the BBC until the last few years, the negativity seemed to coincide with Roan’s dispute with the club.

It’s a shame the fans have to suffer because of a dispute between the editor and the club, seen as the BBC is something the fans help to fund.

I think they’ve made a terrible editorial mistake in switching the coverage to concentrate on the Lancashire teams instead of City though.

Coverage for the likes of Bury and Rochdale should be kept in line with the scale of their support. A couple of thousand fans a week in a conurbation of 2.5m, yet they’re receiving more coverage than City who probably appeal to 1m of those potential listeners, and another million who are their main rivals.

No wonder local media is on its arse. I understand it has to appeal to listeners who don’t feel represented in national media.

But City are a prime example of how local media can work well. A huge demographic who are crying out for coverage who are often completely overlooked by the national media. But instead we get to hear from Dave the groundsman at Deepdale.

To be honest not listened to the bbc Manchester for years well since I could watch us live but used to listen to the Sunday morning show which was good. Buy bbc now isn’t the bbc of years ago it’s a propaganda organisation for me now politically and sports wise am just shock they don’t have a scouse hour.

I think it goes back further than phones as.my dear old gran used to use it along with two penn'orth and four penn'orth which seemed interchangeable when it came to saying your piece.
My little gran also used the expression for getting three penn'orth of sweets for us which came out of a big jar and put in a small conical paper bag.
The expression does, yes, but Jimmy Wagg's use of it was referring to phone-in calls.

The expression does, yes, but Jimmy Wagg's use of it was referring to phone-in calls.
Suppose so. It ties in nicely with a coin phone call. Perhaps he got it from the DT Crossword he did every day.

Not many Blues on local radio nowadays even fewer on national radio..

I certainly hope so, one of the only decent things they have on there worth listening to now they've moved Allan Beswick to some stupid late night slot.
Beswick's getting pensioned off soon in favour of a nationwide late night local radio show.
Cost cutting.

Beswick's getting pensioned off soon in favour of a nationwide late night local radio show.
Cost cutting.

Thanks mate, I know he's getting on, and when he was moved he probably had the attitude of "as long as you're paying me", but moving him to a slot where many of the callers are off their heads (for whatever reason) was a joke, incredibly knowledgeable man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.