#27 | João Cancelo - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Pep's tactics don't help attacking fullbacks at all. He seems more interested in them being extra CM's than overlapping and trying to actually join attacks. Perfect for Zinchenko, who wants to be doing that anyway, or Walker, who looks very happy passing it sideways, but for Cancelo, Angelino and Mendy it's cutting out the best aspects of their play. It's weird as at Barca he loved a rampaging rightback, but over here he seems to have become more interested in having extra midfielders at the expense of any width in the team
This is to help with defending against counter attacks imo. In the Bundesliga he encountered a good amount of counter attacks as well and that's when Lahm and Alaba tucked in a lot. In the PL teams sitting deep and hitting on the counter is pretty much 75% of our opponents.

I think a large part of what made him exciting was having space to run into. So little of that for City. When I see clips of him elsewhere he had these lungbursting runs from deep. Just not getting that.

He does do it from time to time though no? I seen it a few times especially on the right. I figure that's why Pep wanted him. He has good ability on the ball to invert, but if there is an opportunity to go forward he does. Since Kev and Mahrez is on the right not all 3 can go forward at the same time. So it usually is Kev to take up the space Cancelo vacates if he goes forward. To me he really hasn't come to grips with some of the patterns of play and where to be positionally. That's one of the reason he was poor on the left. I'll give him some time before I truly judge him. We seen Bernardo's first season as well as Mahrez last season. Needs time.

Weird that right back can play LCB, not give the opposition a sniff of goal in 90 minutes, run the entire length of the pitch to pretty much single handedly create a goal, yet still get stick from people. Not really sure what more anyone could have expected from him yesterday? Genuinely don't remember them doing anything at all down his side, while he ran through them like they weren't there
But but but I personally don't like him. So isn't that a good enough reason?

Not fair to the lad playing him on the left when he is a right back. It is hard enough coming into a new team,new country and not playing regularly means he has no momentum. We havnt seen him properly to make an accurate assessment in my opinion

I think a large part of what made him exciting was having space to run into. So little of that for City. When I see clips of him elsewhere he had these lungbursting runs from deep. Just not getting that.
Agree. Our system blocks his runs. Mahrez out wide is in the way. Cancelo and Mendy are perfect for 3-5-2 but we haven’t used it since start of last season. Even after the injuries we’ve had made it seem like the perfect system for the players available.

Agree. Our system blocks his runs. Mahrez out wide is in the way. Cancelo and Mendy are perfect for 3-5-2 but we haven’t used it since start of last season. Even after the injuries we’ve had made it seem like the perfect system for the players available.
we could use him in the 3-4-3 formation i think we have done that a few weeks ago

For the minutes he’s played, we could have just kept Frimpong and saved ourselves £60 million.

Cancelo is amortised at £10m a year on our books as his gross cost was £60m. Thats big cost yearly in the books for RB who barely plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.