João Cancelo - 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by mccity, 24 Aug 2019.

1. Larry Stranger

Larry Stranger

He does do it from time to time though no? I seen it a few times especially on the right. I figure that's why Pep wanted him. He has good ability on the ball to invert, but if there is an opportunity to go forward he does. Since Kev and Mahrez is on the right not all 3 can go forward at the same time. So it usually is Kev to take up the space Cancelo vacates if he goes forward. To me he really hasn't come to grips with some of the patterns of play and where to be positionally. That's one of the reason he was poor on the left. I'll give him some time before I truly judge him. We seen Bernardo's first season as well as Mahrez last season. Needs time.

2. Dax777

Dax777

But but but I personally don't like him. So isn't that a good enough reason?

3. Trojan1962

Trojan1962

Not fair to the lad playing him on the left when he is a right back. It is hard enough coming into a new team,new country and not playing regularly means he has no momentum. We havnt seen him properly to make an accurate assessment in my opinion

4. super_city_si

super_city_si

Agree. Our system blocks his runs. Mahrez out wide is in the way. Cancelo and Mendy are perfect for 3-5-2 but we haven’t used it since start of last season. Even after the injuries we’ve had made it seem like the perfect system for the players available.

5. cityboy1

cityboy1

we could use him in the 3-4-3 formation i think we have done that a few weeks ago

6. He's not getting much football, he can't be happy with that. Walker has been very good, and is rightly first choice.

Although, it would not surprise me if Cancelo starts the cup final.

EL APACHE TEVEZ likes this.
  7. Bpughh

Bpughh

Missed the game. Anything up with Joao?

8. Cobra

Cobra

For the minutes he’s played, we could have just kept Frimpong and saved ourselves £60 million.

9. MeatHunterrr

MeatHunterrr

Cancelo is amortised at £10m a year on our books as his gross cost was £60m. Thats big cost yearly in the books for RB who barely plays.

10. OrigamiNinja

OrigamiNinja

There must be more to his situation than what we see on the pitch. He hasn't been so bad, that he would deserve to be totally discarded from the team. Other players have performed worse than he has but still get minutes/games.