#27 | João Cancelo - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The jury is definitely out , expected a lot more from a £60m defender , and i cant see us clawing back that fee in the current climate let's hope he has a great second season like Bernardo , Mahrez , sometimes it takes time to hit form at a new club.
relax a little bit. Both players you named were awful in their first season & you answered your own concerns.

He reminds of a fair weather player tbh. There is a decent footballer in there but I’m not sure the prem is the place for him.

He may come on next season and I suspect given the outlay he will stay.

I feel a little better knowing Danilo was sent off tonight but we still got fleeced.

Those harking for Danilo to return may not wish to see how he played tonight for Juve.

Anyway Cancelo was fine tonight. His biggest flaw was complacency in possession, but saying that I think that was also Walker's biggest flaw against Arsenal. Worth being patient. I say this on every player thread but we have a track record on this forum since Pep arrived whereby we're knocking new signings and then within a year eating our words.

At least he can make a simple pass with his left foot unlike Walker.

I think he had an ok game, overall fine in possession. Did get caught out of position a few times.

would start him again on Thursday and save Walker for the cup match.

He has the talent but desperately needs a run of games. It was already August when he arrived and it took him time to settle, and since then he’s only played 3 consecutive league games twice this season. If he’s staying, then I’d give him the last six league games and see how he improves.

Cancelo does have talent, but imagine having to compete with Walker. Very few stand a chance of displacing him and after a while it’s like they just accept that they can’t.

Im not going to single Cancelo out because for me, our full backs as a collective are bloody terrible. We have spent approx £200m on them and I could make a case for getting rid of the lot.

Mendy - Arguably the best attacking full back in the world when we bought him. We have turned him into a square ball on the halfway line playing full back. Injuries have certainly played a part with him but we have turned him into something different and stifled all his best attributes. Much better defensively than when we purchased him but seemingly at the expense of his attacking prowess.

Walker - Gives me a headache. The most negative player in our squad/the world, isnt happy unless he is playing a 3 yard square ball to his centre back. His biggest plus is his speed/recovery powers but questionable whether the once or twice a game it is needed outweighs the other 89 mins of nothingness.

Zinchenko - Arguably better on the ball than any of our other full backs. Decent in most aspects but doesnt really excel in any. Wouldnt say he is a great defender and doesnt really offer much going forward. Fine as a backup.

Cancelo - I think there is a player in there but we wont see it at City. Looks to be an average defender with good attacking full back qualities but doesnt play enough games (probably his own fault) to build up any rhythm and cement a place.

These guys are not bad players and I do believe that Pep has to shoulder some responsibility for their collective failures. I dont believe you sign attacking full backs like Mendy, Walker and Cancelo and then tell them to stand on the halfway line passing sideways/backwards. What makes it stranger for me, is knowing that Pep managed Alba and Alvez, two of the best attacking full backs I have seen and he let them play to their strengths.

Last night felt like we had another Mahrez on the right. He was a bit sloppy a couple of times but his touch and confidence taking people on is so far ahead of any other fullback we've got.

Still not entirely sure he's a good fit or that he'll be here next season but it's not for a lack of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.