#27 | João Cancelo - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some pretty good stuff but then also some really idiotic stuff. He can play but needs to be switched on. Cant make some of the sloppy passes his did against fast breaking teams.

After seeing the creative accounting of Juventus in their deal with Arthur and Pjanic, can we finally stop describing Cancelo as a 60m player? Yes we paid that for him but Juve paid us 35 million for Danilo when we would have been lucky to get 20m for him from anyone else. Paying 25m plus Danilo (who wanted to leave) for a very highly rated younger player was very very good business from City in the market at that time, sadly it just hasn't worked out so far.

After seeing the creative accounting of Juventus in their deal with Arthur and Pjanic, can we finally stop describing Cancelo as a 60m player? Yes we paid that for him but Juve paid us 35 million for Danilo when we would have been lucky to get 20m for him from anyone else. Paying 25m plus Danilo (who wanted to leave) for a very highly rated younger player was very very good business from City in the market at that time, sadly it just hasn't worked out so far.

90% of Pep's signing at City flopped in their 1st year.

we sold Danilo for £36m
we bought Cancelo for £60m

Barca bought Pjanic for £60m
Juventus bought Arthur for £70m

what you are saying is these Teams made good Sales. But they are officially seperate operations.

we sold Danilo for £36m

what you are saying is these Teams made good Sales. But they are officially seperate operations.
I'm saying that the prices are inflated for financial purposes. Unless you believe that Danilo was valued at 35 million.

I'm saying that the prices are inflated for financial purposes. Unless you believe that Danilo was valued at 35 million.
True but not by such a big factor though. In the end, we made a great Sale.
Players are rarely sold for their true value.

Cancelo was valued at £50m anyways.
There is no shame in saying we bought Cancelo for £60m.

He is a great Full-Back and will be a massive player for us soon.

we sold Danilo for £36m

Also, let's look at your statement about Pep's signings first seasons.
Gundogan - was great before an ACL. No flop.
Nolito - I wouldn't call him a flop considering what we paid for him but let's say he was.
Stones - Again I think flop is harsh but OK.
Sane - Finished his first season as a starter. No flop.
Bravo - Flop.
Jesus - No flop.
Ederson - Amazing 1st season
Bernardo - made more appearances than anyone else in the centurions season. No flop.
Walker - Definitely not a flop.
Mendy - ACL. Great at the start of the season. No flop.
Danilo - Was very decent for what we paid. No flop.
Mahrez - No flop. He won the domestic treble ffs.
Rodri - Not a flop. Has done okay in an unstable team.
Cancelo - Flop so far.
Angelino - We'll say flop, but it's harsh.

So the only players that "flopped" in their first season were Bravo, Nolito, Stones, Cancelo and Angelino (maybe). That's 5 out of 15. 33%. Not exactly 90% is it.

I agree that this is what has happened but I can't work out why.
Bigger valuations mean bigger agent fees, bigger frees to pay as sell in fees to former clubs and bigger payment to the player.
So how does an inflated fee benefit the clubs?

Also, let's look at your statement about Pep's signings first seasons.
Gundogan - was great before an ACL. No flop.
Nolito - I wouldn't call him a flop considering what we paid for him but let's say he was.
Stones - Again I think flop is harsh but OK.
Sane - Finished his first season as a starter. No flop.
Bravo - Flop.
Jesus - No flop.
Ederson - Amazing 1st season
Bernardo - made more appearances than anyone else in the centurions season. No flop.
Walker - Definitely not a flop.
Mendy - ACL. Great at the start of the season. No flop.
Danilo - Was very decent for what we paid. No flop.
Mahrez - No flop. He won the domestic treble ffs.
Rodri - Not a flop. Has done okay in an unstable team.
Cancelo - Flop so far.
Angelino - We'll say flop, but it's harsh.

So the only players that "flopped" in their first season were Bravo, Nolito, Stones, Cancelo and Angelino (maybe). That's 5 out of 15. 33%. Not exactly 90% is it.
what did Mahrez contribute?
what did Bernardo contribute?
what did Sané contribute?
what did Cancelo contribute?

they were all bought for £40m+ and spent most their season as substitutes, barely having any impact the majority of the season.

there is a common theme here, don't judge Pep signing by their first season.

Even most of our fans are calling Rodri "The new Javi Garcia"

what did Mahrez contribute?
what did Bernardo contribute?
what did Sané contribute?
what did Cancelo contribute?

they were all bought for £40m+ and spent most their season as substitutes, barely having any impact the majority of the season.

there is a common theme here, don't judge Pep signing by their first season.

Even most of our fans are calling Rodri "The new Javi Garcia"
Well I agreed with you on Cancelo
Most fans are not calling Rodri that. I've seen it a couple of times on here.

If you think Bernardo, Sane and Mahrez had "barely any impact" in their first seasons then I think you're expecting way too much.

I agree that this is what has happened but I can't work out why.
Bigger valuations mean bigger agent fees, bigger frees to pay as sell in fees to former clubs and bigger payment to the player.
So how does an inflated fee benefit the clubs?

The new signing is amortised over the life of the contract, so a £60m signing over a 5 year contract will only show a charge of £12m against the profit.

The higher fee received will inflate the profit figure against the book value of the player, which will be much lower than perceived value as their value would have been amortised over the life of the contract. So the club are able to book a significantly higher profit.

It's a legitimate accounting trick to use transfer deals to prop up the profit figure for FFP purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.