#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancelo - is really good central - playing in essence as an attacking mid.

As a traditional left back - I really don't rate him at all. He's not very good on defense. And if you want him to play as a wingback... he really doesn't seem very good there at all either.

Pep invented a position - false back - and Cancelo is awesome there.

If the "false back" position is open then hell yes! I want Cancelo to start.

But if Cancelo is to play wing back or traditionally defensive left back, then I think we have a problem at that position. Cancelo isn't good there.

As a traditional left back - I really don't rate him at all. He's not very good on defense. And if you want him to play as a wingback... he really doesn't seem very good there at all either.

But if Cancelo is to play wing back or traditionally defensive left back, then I think we have a problem at that position. Cancelo isn't good there.
I believe Pep is the top coach in the world, currently, but he is humble and imo highly unlikely to claim that he "invented a position". He tweaks what came before, he might refer you to Cruyff or Rinus Michels concept of " Total Football" as a reference point and they, probably, if they were still alive, would refer you to coaches they admired. Cancelo wasn't bought as a traditional left back or wing back, he was bought for the positive attributes he displays when at his best, like most of our players.

The reason he isn't great at Left back might have something to do with the fact he's a Right back.

I believe Pep is the top coach in the world, currently, but he is humble and imo highly unlikely to claim that he "invented a position". He tweaks what came before, he might refer you to Cruyff or Rinus Michels concept of " Total Football" as a reference point and they, probably, if they were still alive, would refer you to coaches they admired. Cancelo wasn't bought as a traditional left back or wing back, he was bought for the positive attributes he displays when at his best, like most of our players.

Even before total football there was a player who played in a very attacking style from Left-back:

Facchetti

There was a certain period in this season - when you could have played Cancelo as a False9 or a GK or a CB and you knew he would perform like a superstar there :D

I don't know when he was "lost" and what happened - but I wish I could see that Cancelo in the new season as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.