#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is the biggest beneficiary of the system change and the more defensive approach.

Now there are 2 sitting midfielders and the defensive line has dropped a bit, not to mention we have 2 decently quick CBs, we can afford to sacrifice Walker's sweeper role for something else.

For me the more interesting development with Cancelo is the move into central midfield. At times in the last few games he is the guy playing number 10 while KDB has gone out to the wing and Bernardo is filling in RB.

I'm a big fan of Walker, but Cancelo is surely ahead of him in the pecking order on current form.
He gives greater fluidity to our play than Walker and he’s gotten much better at defending 1v1. He was very good against Pulisic today, who is a very decent player.

There’s still room for him to improve, particularly with his crossing, but he’s a better technical footballer than Walker. If our goalie has to be great with the ball, and you notice it with Steffan to Ederson, then it should be the case for all our outfield players.

Deserves to keep his place.

He gives greater fluidity to our play than Walker and he’s gotten much better at defending 1v1. He was very good against Pulisic today, who is a very decent player.

There’s still room for him to improve, particularly with his crossing, but he’s a better technical footballer than Walker. If our goalie has to be great with the ball, and you notice it with Steffan to Ederson, then it should be the case for all our outfield players.

Deserves to keep his place.
he'll probably go back to left back due to him still being better than all the other options

It’s not just what he brings to our creativity, it’s his defending too. Dias and Stones get all the credit for the defence but Cancelo is top on tackles per 90 mins, 2nd in ball recoveries per 90 behind Rodri, top on tackles v dribbling opponents per 90, top on interceptions per 90 and has made zero mistakes leading to shots/goals.

The guy is defending as well as, if not better, than everyone in the team. AND he’s a creative beast.

He is the biggest beneficiary of the system change and the more defensive approach.

Now there are 2 sitting midfielders and the defensive line has dropped a bit, not to mention we have 2 decently quick CBs, we can afford to sacrifice Walker's sweeper role for something else.

For me the more interesting development with Cancelo is the move into central midfield. At times in the last few games he is the guy playing number 10 while KDB has gone out to the wing and Bernardo is filling in RB.

We dropped the two sitting midfielders today, agree with the overall point though as Cancelo also moved in at times to either play as that extra holding midfielder alongside Rodri or got further forward when either of Silva or Gundogan didn’t.

He’s a world class fullback and despite what the media state they cost £60m + and there only a few about and we got one of them. Good work cheeky

I've backed him throughout,i found it impossible not to see his quality both in an attacking and defensive role.

Those who had convinced themselves,and each other,he couldn't defend are now conspicuous by their absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.