#27 | João Cancelo - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea that's how I saw it

He did a brilliant tackle on either Martial or Rashford I think in the 2nd half when we were under the cosh that stopped them dead. I think he's got another level in him Excited to watch him in the coming weeks/month now he looks to have settled because he's looking like he's going to make a big contribution at the mo
This is turning into a tough choice because for me Kyle Walker has been great for us. I know he has fuck ups and isn't as good on the ball but he has been a warrior for us up and down that right wing.

He’s really starting to catch the eye, especially this season with a run of games.
A major attaching threat one minute he’s defending near the corner flag the next he’s having shot.. covers a lot of ground.
Dangerous going forward very good in recent weeks.

Peps comments are interesting....talking about Cacello's arrival last year Pep said........"he expected something we could not offer him"
What is Pep talking about here?
Whatever it is/was his performances have improved no end

Peps comments are interesting....talking about Cacello's arrival last year Pep said........"he expected something we could not offer him"
Hard to say with Pep, but if I had to take a guess I'd say Cancelo probably thought he'd come in and only play the flying fullback role going up and down the right side and attacking from the wing. Pep mentioned that he was confused at first. He probably had a hard time grasping the tactics when Pep wanted him to be the inverted fullback. Basically a better version of what Zinchenko does on the left. Cancelo has good ball skills like a midfielder and has a lot of pace to recover when the ball is lost. We're seeing now what he can do with a year under his belt and a better understanding of the tactics.

Hard to say with Pep, but if I had to take a guess I'd say Cancelo probably thought he'd come in and only play the flying fullback role going up and down the right side and attacking from the wing. Pep mentioned that he was confused at first. He probably had a hard time grasping the tactics when Pep wanted him to be the inverted fullback. Basically a better version of what Zinchenko does on the left. Cancelo has good ball skills like a midfielder and has a lot of pace to recover when the ball is lost. We're seeing now what he can do with a year under his belt and a better understanding of the tactics.
Think you are probably spot on. My first thought it was something more 'personal' (a contractual issue for instance) but this would make a lot more sense.
You are right in that we are seeing him play a lot better. and his postion as an 'extra midfielder' is causing teams a lot of problems at the moment. It seems to have benefited the whole team as well as with Zinchenko on the opposite side able to play in he same way it means teams dont know which way we are going to go whereas before, it was only Zinchenko tucking in.....

I do prefer Walker as a defender however just for his aggressiveness, pace but in possession Cancelo is the better option at times.

My first thought would be game time maybe?

I'd love it if we played him and walker together on the right in every big fixture like we did against arsenal.

Cancelo wide attacking wingback role, walker inside mid/centre back hybrid.

So with walker and the other two CBs you have a solid back 3, cancelo wide right, and then the left wide player has much less defensive responsibility so zinchenko, foden, Bernardo, etc. Can play there. Think foden played there against arsenal early on in the season.

That way you keep walker's defending and pace but you keep cancelo on his preferred right hand side and we don't have to worry about the fact our only actual leftback is finished and the other options are makeshift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.