Job Suggestions For Nephew Who Is Hard-Working But An Academic Failure?

There are plenty of opportunities for him to work on an Apprenticeship.As an ex Assessor,I have seen many youngsters come out of education with no qualifications,but get them into a working environment and a hell of of a lot seem to excel.

This, if he's interested in computers or even the engineering route there are always pathways available to a career. Might have to work on the functional skills though if he hasn't got the grades as a lot of the technical apprenticeships are demanding A-Cs in maths and English.

Get a job on a cruise ship, see the world.

You would think so, but after being on a few, and talking to staff, most 'see the world through a porthole as they clean the cabins .... Majority of the staff on a cruise ship aren't even allowed ashore due to security/visa reasons. And 'off' time is when they sleep, in a most basic cabin with several others ... often 'Hot Bedding', which is you sleep in a bunk that someone has just left for their shift. Living the life ...

The railway.

The only industry I know of where academic qualifications are secondary to being able to prove you are competent to the role your applying for by doing various practical tests for the role.

The strong union influence also gives better protections than other industries.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would think so, but after being on a few, and talking to staff, most 'see the world through a porthole as they clean the cabins .... Majority of the staff on a cruise ship aren't even allowed ashore due to security/visa reasons. And 'off' time is when they sleep, in a most basic cabin with several others ... often 'Hot Bedding', which is you sleep in a bunk that someone has just left for their shift. Living the life ...

I am talking more about entertainment team and the kids club supervisors, also the shop staff, not the cabin stewards and wait staff as they are mostly from the Far East.
I know several people who are on board RCI and Carnival ships as we speak, and they are having a ball

My nephew is smart, intelligent and very hard-working but just struggled at school, college and in any education setting for some reason... (we think he might have slight autism) which means he has zero qualifications. Ironic thing is he would probably do some of the jobs much better and be more professional than most of the people who get good qualifications into the job !

Any suggestions on jobs he can do that don't require much academic qualifications or what he should do?

Your comments are imo contradictory but if he is indeed intelligent and hardworking then you (or his parents) should try to get to the heart of his issues with learning/acquiring knowledge since practically all professions and trades require some manner of qualifications as prerequisites for their study or application.

Good luck

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.