Jodrell Bank given UNESCO World Heritage Site

oakiecokie

Jodrell Bank Observatory has been declared a Unesco World Heritage Site.

It has been at the forefront of astronomical research since its inception in 1945 and tracked US and Russian craft during the space race.

The site in Cheshire is part of the University of Manchester. It is dominated by the landmark Lovell Telescope.

It joins the ancient Iraqi city of Babylon and other locations that have been added to the prestigious list.

Well done to our local astronomical team in achieving this wonderful award.
My Dad worked on the site for a few years and got to know Sir Bernard quite well and he always said that Sir Bernard was a very unassuming guy and a very approachable person irrespective of his status.
Wonderful news for Cheshire

Got a friend who works here, says it's the perfect place to work, and seeing that dish on the way in never gets boring. And, in two weeks time.... It'll be hosting Blue Dot, the best little festival in the world.
When I worked for the TEC (Training and Enterprise Council) there would always be a two day event for years 10/11 who were studying Science,at JB.
As you say they now hold Music Festivals.
Whenever we go by train to a City game from Crewe,I always have to take a look.Just drawn in by its magical and mystery.
One of the few things that Cheshire is noted for.

When I worked for the TEC (Training and Enterprise Council) there would always be a two day event for years 10/11 who were studying Science,at JB.
As you say they now hold Music Festivals.
Whenever we go by train to a City game from Crewe,I always have to take a look.Just drawn in by its magical and mystery.
One of the few things that Cheshire is noted for.
I love that it's not just a music festival too, science is very much front and centre in what they are trying to do with blue dot. This year's main theme is the moon landings, and expecting to see some really class stuff, along with a brilliant music line up. They run an art installation light show on the dish each year. One year, they were collecting pulsar data during the day and then, at night, projecting a graphical representation of the data onto the dish. It was brilliant.

I love that it's not just a music festival too, science is very much front and centre in what they are trying to do with blue dot. This year's main theme is the moon landings, and expecting to see some really class stuff, along with a brilliant music line up. They run an art installation light show on the dish each year. One year, they were collecting pulsar data during the day and then, at night, projecting a graphical representation of the data onto the dish. It was brilliant.
They always do a nice write up with pics of the event in the MEN.
Bit too old and knackered for the music bj.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.