Joe Mercer

blue b4 the moon

Had a quick look, can't see it already posted.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZ167vc5Uo&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZ167vc ... re=related</a>

Good times, excellent memories. I think the set up and team today are in a similar vein. Roll on Wednesday

Might be wrong but I think he is the only Manager to manage 2 different teams to win the League Cup Ironically Villa twice and us once. Will stand corrected.

Watching that clip brought a tear to my eye Joe Mercer was a gentleman A far cry from the obnoxious managers that permeate the Premiership today It brought back so many memories as a young man of 19 going to every game, our win at Rotherham to gain promotion and being in dreamland as we won everything Watching City rise and rise
I only met Joe once at Dusseldorf airport waiting for our flight back after the EWCWC semi final 1st leg at Schalke He saw us in the airport lounge and came over thanked us for our support and chatted with us for about a quarter of an hour until his flight was called
A great man and a true legend

Alex Harley said:
Watching that clip brought a tear to my eye Joe Mercer was a gentleman A far cry from the obnoxious managers that permeate the Premiership today It brought back so many memories as a young man of 19 going to every game, our win at Rotherham to gain promotion and being in dreamland as we won everything Watching City rise and rise
I only met Joe once at Dusseldorf airport waiting for our flight back after the EWCWC semi final 1st leg at Schalke He saw us in the airport lounge and came over thanked us for our support and chatted with us for about a quarter of an hour until his flight was called

One in a million, wasn't he?

There was a phone in on GMR (about 8 years ago) asking what listeners thought our new stadium should be called. I rang in and said the "Joe Mercer Stadium." And I still think the same now.

Alex Harley said:

Truly wonderful man and manager.

Ah that win at Rotherham..............

garyowensgolfclubs said:
Might be wrong but I think he is the only Manager to manage 2 different teams to win the League Cup Ironically Villa twice and us once. Will stand corrected.

It was actually once with Villa (1961) and he also reached the final in 1963 with them. People often incorrectly say Joe was a failed manager before he arrived at City, yet he'd guided Villa to the Second Division title, won the League Cup, developed a good quality young side with attacking flair, and would have achieved more had it not been for the winter of 63 and subsequent health issues. That's more than a lot of managers have achieved in their entire career.

The reason they think he was a failure before City is that he had achieved so much success as a player - 3 League titles, FA Cup, FA Cup finalists, England captain, player of the year etc. - that it wasn't until City that his managerial career matched the overall quality of his playing career.

There's a lot more to Joe than simple stats and, I know I've written it, but if you really want to understand about the man and why he developed such a great City side read my updated biog of Joe: "Joe Mercer, OBE: Football With A Smile" (details at: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchesterfootball.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.manchesterfootball.org</a> ).

Inevitably, there's a very strong City thread throughout the book, and lots of great photos.

Incidentally, naming the stadium after him is probably not something Joe would have wanted. He was the type of man who would want his own achievements to be eclipsed and so naming the stadium after him may actually have limited ambition. He would want a successful City side to be his legacy.

'Twas a magic time. Had been a City fan for ten years before Joe arrived and had seen some pretty pedestrian performances, worse than the worst from the present era, and then the whole thing just took off. And it wasn't grind out a result. It was flowing, energetic, dynamic - just a joy to watch. The quote on the stairs in the shop along the lines of - We never thought we'd get beaten - was very true. They played like they believed it.

Off to start a new thread for those who have seen two different wingers!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.