Joey Barton

The difference between the reaction to this and Joe Royle essentially saying the same thing is quite telling. Royle’s comment, it should be said, was stated at a time when there would have been many more people alive to whom The Holocaust was a real, living memory, yet I do not remember any discernible reaction to that comment.

Both comments are unfortunate, but why are so many people offended so easily these days?

When did an unintentionally crass or misjudged comment become axiomatically offensive?

We always need to try to be considerate of others in what we say, but people really need to shake themselves out of this way of thinking that has palpably lowered the bar to being offended, as it is not good for wider society.

Does anyone actually think we are a better society for it?

A moronic and needless thing to say. But hopefully the violent thug loses his job as result of a custodial sentence, not this.
Is the correct answer.

There's X Millions of words he could have used, unless thick as mince and I'm told from someone who knew him at Fleetwood he's apparently not, you really would tread carefully around the H word in the world today.

By far the most offensive thing about this is that people have fallen for it. He knew exactly what he was doing. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit but when does anyone just casually drop that in, never mind on camera?

He's a poster boy in waiting for the "political correctness gone mad/ cancel culture" lot and that's the exact window of opportunity he'll need when people stop giving him a chance to fuck up a career in football and he still wants his ego stroking.

I think the media and corporations as a whole need closer looking at for manufacturing widespread outrage because all I see is the finger pointing aimed at individuals who fall for it.

He's a fucking pillock that's decided to rebrand himself as an intellectual, we probably all know a handful of similar people we went to school with that have done the same since leaving, I know I do. It was a truly moronic thing to say, not least because it doesn't work but I find it very difficult to see how people can genuinely get offended by it, there's no offence intended whatsoever it's simply somebody who isn't very bright trying to sound brighter. calls for him to lose his job because of that are mental.
“somebody who isn't very bright trying to sound brighter. calls for him to lose his job”
Sounds like a Man United Youtuber.

The difference between the reaction to this and Joe Royle essentially saying the same thing is quite telling. Royle’s comment, it should be said, was stated at a time when there would have been many more people alive to whom The Holocaust was a real, living memory, yet I do not remember any discernible reaction to that comment.

Both comments are unfortunate, but why are so many people offended so easily these days?

When did an unintentionally crass or misjudged comment become axiomatically offensive?

We always need to try to be considerate of others in what we say, but people really need to shake themselves out of this way of thinking that has palpably lowered the bar to being offended, as it is not good for wider society.

I imagine the more important distinction is that when Joe Royle said it, there were plenty of people alive who remembered the word being in relatively common usage before "The Holocaust" was named and using holocaust to mean anything else stopped.

The funny thing about this is that it's famously in The Great Gatsby, and as a result this discussion about a holocaust vs. The Holocaust and changing language will be familiar to most GCSE English students. There's trial exam questions like "Explain Fitzgeralds description of Gatsby's death as a holocaust"

I would put money on Joey Barton reading Gatsby recently, googling it, and then thinking it's a great way to show off how (pseudo)intellectual he is in a press conference.

He's not smart enough to know it makes him as well read as the average 15 year old.

I think he's an idiot for trying to be clever, but I don't like the responses in that BBC article with people deliberately ignoring the other anachronistic uses of the word to try and pretend he was talking about The Holocaust and he should lose his job for it.

Last edited:

Axiomatically not.

Pretty sure Holocaust was a word before the 40s. did he specifically refer to The Holocaust?

Growing up in the 80s i thought it meant total annihilation. Didn't know the nuclear holocaust i was scared shitless of was only a danger if you were Jewish
holocaust a burnt sacrifice offered whole to god

Clearly a total misuse of the word regardless of its connotation?

I imagine the more important distinction is that when Joe Royle said it, there were plenty of people alive who remembered the word being in relatively common usage before "The Holocaust" was named and using holocaust to mean anything else stopped.

The funny thing about this is that it's famously in The Great Gatsby, and as a result this discussion about a holocaust vs. The Holocaust and changing language will be familiar to most GCSE English students. There's trial exam questions like "Explain Fitzgeralds description of Gatsby's death as a holocaust"

I would put money on Joey Barton reading Gatsby recently, googling it, and then thinking it's a great way to show off how (pseudo)intellectual he is in a press conference.

He's not smart enough to know it makes him as well read as the average 15 year old.

I think he's an idiot for trying to be clever, but I don't like the responses in that BBC article with people deliberately ignoring the other anachronistic uses of the word to try and pretend he was talking about The Holocaust and he should lose his job for it.
Never mind Barton Dom; you've just given away what happens in TGG.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.