Joey Barton Rant vs Watford

forevermancity

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEOYhlVyfM[/youtube]

he was spot on to be fair

how far we have come since then!

I remember listening to this the night it was on GMR. Look forward to listening to it again after the Villa/Sunderland game is over. Despite all we know about him as you rightly say he was pretty much accurate with all he said at the time.

He pretty much summed up everything that I felt as a blue that season

Interesting to understand the context to this. There was a boardroom battle going on over Stuart Pearce, between Mackintosh and others, who had wanted him sacked for a while, and Wardle who didn't. They had also announced we were in talks with a potential buyer, which was a lie. Ranson had shown his hand by then I think but they wouldn't deal with him.

This came to a head at the beginning of March after we'd been beaten 1-0 by Wigan at home and they had a board meeting to demand his sacking, with Kenny Jackett identified as his successor. Wardle refused to do it however and as he had the majority of the shares, they couldn't force him to. At that point we were in 17th but 6 points ahead of Charlton with two games in hand.

By the time of that Watford game we were safe but still without a buyer and the anti-Pearce faction wanted to force the issue and ensure he was sacked at the end of the season. So I believe they set up this interview to force Wardle's hand. Barton and Tyrrell were best mates so Joey was the obvious one to do it.

I know I am in a minority here but I still have a soft spot for Barton. He is a gifted player and gave everything for city while he was with us. Unfortunately he is a complete lunatic. If it wasn't for that he would have progressed as a very good midfielder.

davymcfc said:
I know I am in a minority here but I still have a soft spot for Barton. He is a gifted player and gave everything for city while he was with us. Unfortunately he is a complete lunatic. If it wasn't for that he would have progressed as a very good midfielder.

Im with you mate would have been interesting to see if he stayed on 1 more season how hed have got on with Sven

I respected Barton for his commitment. he always gave everything whatever the game

I remember him as a kid in a League Cup tie going round all the players geeing them up before the game. It might not sound much, but it made quite an impression on me at the time

I like Barton more than I like Stephen Ireland. At least Joey always cared what the score or result was, and he would never have let Scholes run free for that winner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.