John Mcririck

Married for 45 yrs,i hope his wife is ok,i didn't like his on screen persona but i think he played up to it a lot and kept on tv because of it,regular on the big brother spin off show,i was shocked when i saw him last

My experience of meeting him is the very opposite.

He was stood leaning on the rails of the paddock at Aintree just watching the horses being led around before the first race when I recognised him and said hello.
We chatted for a couple of minutes about the contenders and we both were taken by a grey novice hurdler named Desert Orchid. Wonder what happened to that horse?
He was very very gracious and had no ego at all when I spoke to him.
He had many faults but was a fun lover and deep down had a kind heart.

I, and Racing, will miss the big man.

Had the odd chats with him down the years, mainly at the ebor meetings, as has been said by many of the racing world today, he was a big part of it and helped it grow. Pretty good watching him Francome, McGrath, Alistair Down etc on the Morning Line/Channel 4 racing.

Oh and I'm fairly sure Dessie never ran at Haydock as a novice hurdler, are you sure it wasn't Ascot?

Madonna missed a trick. He'd have been awesome in the Vogue video.

Oddball, old school non PC guy that came across as a misogynist, but loved his wife dearly by the look of it.

Not really a racing fan, but he always made it slightly entertaining if it was on. RIP

Sad news for fans of horse racing,although he hadn’t been part of Ch4 for a number of years after a revamp,but for all the bluster and shouting and eccentricity he was a very knowledgeable horse person,certainly had me laughing at times but was always on the side of the normal punter
R.I.P John ..

Had the odd chats with him down the years, mainly at the ebor meetings, as has been said by many of the racing world today, he was a big part of it and helped it grow. Pretty good watching him Francome, McGrath, Alistair Down etc on the Morning Line/Channel 4 racing.

Oh and I'm fairly sure Dessie never ran at Haydock as a novice hurdler, are you sure it wasn't Ascot?
We’re both right and both wrong mate.
I never actually said the meeting took place at Haydock, I said Aintree which was correct.
The meeting took place before a Novice Hurdle on the first day of the meeting but it was a false memory that Desert Orchid ran in the race.
I did see DO run at the course but that was a few years later.

https://www.racingpost.com/results/32/aintree/1989-04-06/29289

Age does funny things to an old fellas memory.

RIP, a guy from a different era who stayed in it but, on the whole enjoyable to watch.

After seeing him on BB in the studio I'm surprised he lasted so long.

great tribute from bruce millington(racing post) who knew him well on talksport

a character for sure who made racing interesting again in early 90's

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.