John Sillett

Zabbasbeard

Team supported
Manchester City
JOHN SILLETT

Sad to learn of the passing of John Sillett at the age of 85. John Sillett was a larger than life, loveable character who managed Coventry City to win the highly memorable 1987 FA Cup Final 3-2 against Tottenham. It remains the only major trophy in Coventry's history. With his joint manager George Curtis who also passed away earlier this year, they formed a good cop/bad cop partnership that worked really well and they fashioned an exciting Coventry team with players like Dave Bennett, David Phillips Keith, Keith Houchen and the great Cyrille Regis along with other bargains from less high profile teams. Sillett's jovial nature and beaming smile made him instantly likeable and he was loved by those who played for him and fans of Coventry particularly. He also steered Hereford to their highest ever position. Sillett had enjoyed a playing career with Chelsea, Coventry and Plymouth. Much loved by the Sky Blues of Coventry, he was appointed a Life President of their club and attended reunions with their '87 Cup winning side. I remember wishing it was us that day in 1987 but I was pleased for Coventry, particularly ex-Blues Dave Bennett and David Phillips, as well as the avuncular, humorous John Sillett. Thanks for the memories, thoughts with his friends and family and may he rest in peace.

JOHN SILLETT

Sad to learn of the passing of John Sillett at the age of 85. John Sillett was a larger than life, loveable character who managed Coventry City to win the highly memorable 1987 FA Cup Final 3-2 against Tottenham. It remains the only major trophy in Coventry's history. With his joint manager George Curtis who also passed away earlier this year, they formed a good cop/bad cop partnership that worked really well and they fashioned an exciting Coventry team with players like Dave Bennett, David Phillips Keith, Keith Houchen and the great Cyrille Regis along with other bargains from less high profile teams. Sillett's jovial nature and beaming smile made him instantly likeable and he was loved by those who played for him and fans of Coventry particularly. He also steered Hereford to their highest ever position. Sillett had enjoyed a playing career with Chelsea, Coventry and Plymouth. Much loved by the Sky Blues of Coventry, he was appointed a Life President of their club and attended reunions with their '87 Cup winning side. I remember wishing it was us that day in 1987 but I was pleased for Coventry, particularly ex-Blues Dave Bennett and David Phillips, as well as the avuncular, humorous John Sillett. Thanks for the memories, thoughts with his friends and family and may he rest in peace.
Some nice comments from Longsight’s finest Dave Bennett in the BBC obit

JOHN SILLETT

Well said. That was a cracker of an FA Cup final as well.

JOHN SILLETT

Nice words those mate.

Seemed a likeable guy. RIP.

JOHN SILLETT

I have to agree, it was a cracking final.

I was supporting Coventry that day, as I hated Spurs, even back then.

Oh the irony of Gary Mabbutt scoring for both sides, after Tommy Hutch had done it six years before, was particularly delicious and I was delighted for Dave Bennett that he scored.

R. I. P. John.

JOHN SILLETT

Cracking tribute, I was on a corporate do at York Races, about mid nineties and afterwards we went in the Chase Hotel (think it was called that) for a drink. John Sillett and George Curtis were on the table next to us, their bond and friendship was obvious, they were very loud but happy. John got up and came to our table and said he hoped they weren’t being too loud, they never stopped laughing and were clearly having a great time, it was infectious. I’ll never forget it because him and George Curtis were just two blokes with their family and friends having a great time and were so genuine. RIP Mr Sillett.

Cracking tribute, I was on a corporate do at York Races, about mid nineties and afterwards we went in the Chase Hotel (think it was called that) for a drink. John Sillett and George Curtis were on the table next to us, their bond and friendship was obvious, they were very loud but happy. John got up and came to our table and said he hoped they weren’t being too loud, they never stopped laughing and were clearly having a great time, it was infectious. I’ll never forget it because him and George Curtis were just two blokes with their family and friends having a great time and were so genuine. RIP Mr Sillett.
Lovely experience, thanks for sharing it mate.

Was gutted when the twats won it.
Ruined the Monty Python quiz question too.....

City got relegated the week before..... a few weeks before that City's youth team (the holders) went out in a semi final 3rd game after two 1-1 draws, losing the 3rd game at Highfield Road and Cov went on to win youth cup too. So wasn't a happy football time for me.

RIP John Sillett......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.