John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just pointed out that Stones' performances are regarded as pretty poor by a wide audience, not only in England. His club colours don't matter, doubt that l'Equipe are biased against City. He's an average defender right now, no need to pretend otherwise.
As for the list, I agree, he wasn't that bad. Can't take such ratings seriously anyway.
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing you in any way. I actually found it interesting to see what a French paper thought. And you're preaching to the choir in terms of being concerned about stones' defensive abilities.

I agree in regards to stones but would like to know why you think sterling would spend a considerable time on the bench. I mean I would understand if you think he'd be part of a rotation as I believe that will the case for all the attacking players next season but I find it hard to believe he will be a peripheral figure. I know many think he will be the one to make way for b.silva but to me unless he regresses or shows no improvement in front of goal(scoring), I'm certain pep trusts him far more than many here think him to be. Out of sane, b.silva and him, he had a hand in more goals than the both of them last season so this idea that he will barely feature for the team next season has not much to base off.

For me, he does everything right until the point it matters. Pep will have other options next season.

Sterling was being discussed :)

My bad, skimmed through and missed the post you quoted.

I think Sterling will be used as he has this season; as a traditional right winger when we need to hold a wide front line with Sane similarly on the left. There are few players who Pep trusts to play with the inverted winger role to an acceptable level as it's fairly high risk in term of chance creation.

Bernardo can potentially fill that role on the right and Sanchez obviously on the left so I think it gives us different options with our wide play. Like at Bayern, Pep will have the choice to have right and left footers on their natural sides to create chances for a central forward (like Costa and Coman) or have two confident - and more importantly successful - dribblers to come inside and fashion chances for themselves (like Ribery and Robben).

Personally, I think our lack of options on the wings last season gave us much less of a variety in ways to break down stubborn and packed defences. The other downside is that we couldn't rotate when players were underperforming or burnt out.

Stonesy lad looked well rusty always takes time to get up to speed and close season he probably hasn't been too fussed
Started to stand up and defend as the game went on,the free kick Giroud got for the first goal was daylight robbery same as the ones in the cup semi final Stones standing his ground waiting for the ball to arrive and Giroud backs in taking the f.in piss

Last edited:
He hadnt played for a while before the France game. Ended the season on something of a downer, due to injury Dropped against Scotland. Then played in a completely unfamiliar, fragile defence. He was never going to be MOTM.

I expect Pep will re-build his confidence during pre season and we'll see a much improved Stones, playing in a much improved defence, next season.

He hadnt played for a while before the France game. Ended the season on something of a downer, due to injury Dropped against Scotland. Then played in a completely unfamiliar, fragile defence. He was never going to be MOTM.

I expect Pep will re-build his confidence during pre season and we'll see a much improved Stones, playing in a much improved defence, next season.
Lets hope so as based on last season with us and Everton prior, not currently good enough.

Lets hope so as based on last season with us and Everton prior, not currently good enough.
With both Stones and Mangala we spent huge sums on players who had just had a poor season. I know the whole "class is permanent form is temporary" is true broadly speaking but when buying young players who you are very much relying on to "kick on" it strikes me that gambling large amounts on a player whose form has significantly dipped is not a great strategy.

That would be great.

But considering how much effort is going into rebuilding the rest of the team, should we be going into the next season relying on that happening ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.