John Stones - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a big fan of John Stones. He was England’s best player at the World Cup, IMHO, and has carried that form into the new season.

It’s obvious, at least I think it is, that Southgate sees John as one of his most important players, certainly his leading defender, and I think Pep sees him in the same way.

His reading of the game is top notch and I love the way he brings the ball out from the back to start counter attacks.

He is still very young for a central defender, and I can see him and Aymeric Laporte developing a partnership to rival that of the great Mike Doyle and Dave Watson.

I wonder if it's time to move Stones to the Fernandinho role as we currently have 4 fit centre backs.

I really hope this Stones as a 6 experiment gets more push. It allows us to play our best CB along with Stones / Laporte. Excited to watch this play out...

Need to see more before judging in that position. Didn't appear to have that "awareness" of what's behind him when receiving the ball from the CB's which led him to just passing it straight back.

Unsurprising seeing as he's not used to receiving the ball with his back to play that high up the pitch.

Nice to have as an option though.

Need to see more before judging in that position. Didn't appear to have that "awareness" of what's behind him when receiving the ball from the CB's which led him to just passing it straight back.

Unsurprising seeing as he's not used to receiving the ball with his back to play that high up the pitch.

Early to judge but he wasn’t effective there imo. Wasn’t making himself available often enough and seemed very slow.

Early to judge but he wasn’t effective there imo. Wasn’t making himself available often enough and seemed very slow.

Both observations correct. John will need time to grow in that position, perhaps the most "sensitive" and demanding in modern football in terms of positioning, quick and correct decision making etc etc etc. He has the mentality though, enjoys learning under Guardiola, doesn't avoid responsibility. With the manager's guidance and encouragement, we can hope he can present a reliable option in the process. Which the team needs desperately...

By the way, I'm not sure Guardiola has shown all his cards regarding this issue. I would be very surprised if he had...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.