John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year was a bigger achievement, considering how hard we were pushed... one of Stones biggest fans, however, if he fails to take the opportunity to really become a leader and invest in his game, then his time will becoming to an end next summer, there’s no excuse, step the fuck up and do it with more consistency!
I said it earlier in the thread but this year could realistically be his last shot at being the player we thought we were getting. Between Vinny leaving, and Otamendi and Ferna being the ages they are, we're buying a centerback this summer, and you have to think the profile of who we do buy is being influenced by how Stones is viewed. If the next guy slots in like Laporte did that's probably about it for him.

Last year was a bigger achievement, considering how hard we were pushed... one of Stones biggest fans, however, if he fails to take the opportunity to really become a leader and invest in his game, then his time will becoming to an end next summer, there’s no excuse, step the fuck up and do it with more consistency!

Stones is a big concern for me, considering he's had three years of coaching under Pep it feels like he's well below the level he should be. I hope he can take the step, but the fact he's barely been trusted in two title run ins speaks volumes.

I think he'll stay even if he doesn't step up, purely because we need to look at signing a Leroy replacement, a potential new striker and a new CB to replace Otamendi/Kompany.

I said it earlier in the thread but this year could realistically be his last shot at being the player we thought we were getting. Between Vinny leaving, and Otamendi and Ferna being the ages they are, we're buying a centerback this summer, and you have to think the profile of who we do buy is being influenced by how Stones is viewed. If the next guy slots in like Laporte did that's probably about it for him.
If Stones delivered and played at Laporte's level, I don't think we'd buy a CB unless Nico forced a move.

Eric Garcia is probably going to play 5 games before Christmas and maybe 10+ overall and that'll tell us whether he's good enough, but if he is, then Potential-fulfilled-Stones, Laporte, Otamendi, Garcia and Fern would be more than good enough as a group.

It's only if Stones has another season like the last 3 that we'll have to buy, and probably sell Nico and bring in someone to start ahead of Stones.

If Stones delivered and played at Laporte's level, I don't think we'd buy a CB unless Nico forced a move.

Eric Garcia is probably going to play 5 games before Christmas and maybe 10+ overall and that'll tell us whether he's good enough, but if he is, then Potential-fulfilled-Stones, Laporte, Otamendi, Garcia and Fern would be more than good enough as a group.

It's only if Stones has another season like the last 3 that we'll have to buy, and probably sell Nico and bring in someone to start ahead of Stones.
Yeah I think thats probably correct. At the moment I would wager that the plan is to bring in a new CB this summer but that is also partially reflecting my pessimism over how much time Garcia will get and to a lesser extent Stones staying healthy the rest of the way and reforming the partnership he had with Nico a few years back.

Stones and Otamendi both need replacing if owners are serious about winning the CL. Must be disappointing for them considering investment in CB position over the years. Only Laporte at the required standard.

This isn't just based off today but I'm starting to think he just isn't going to be good enough for what we need.

Stones and Otamendi both need replacing if owners are serious about winning the CL. Must be disappointing for them considering investment in CB position over the years. Only Laporte at the required standard.

Let’s face it, we are now playing our 3rd and 4th choice CBs from last season. That’s never going to be a preferable scenario.

For me, Stones is the bigger problem of the two. I just don’t trust him, he’s not had a full good season since he’s been here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.