John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Matt Law"; hmm.

really hope they come in for him. Stones has had enough chances.

After the 17-18 season he could have pushed on to become a world class CB instead he regressed to the point that even Eric Garcia was once in the squad over John.

After the 17-18 season he could have pushed on to become a world class CB instead he regressed to the point that even Eric Garcia was once in the squad over John.

The Spurs game you mean? Sam Lee said on a podcast that was because Stones was in court over his ex/their child that day or the day before or something.

The Spurs game you mean? Sam Lee said on a podcast that was because Stones was in court over his ex/their child that day or the day before or something.
I completely agree stones has had way too many chances to prove himself, he needs to go, would rather have ota for another season.

I am not so sure.

If they did under Benitez I bet he would flourish and we would be royally pissed off.

I am not so sure.

If they did under Benitez I bet he would flourish and we would be royally pissed off.

Just because he goes away and flourishes elsewhere under a different manager and in a different setup doesn't mean he will do here if we keep persisting with him.

I am not so sure.

Doesn’t matter if he does - he isn’t going to here under Guardiola. Unless there’s a new coach coming in this summer, there’s no point in wasting another year of mediocrity, while his value further depreciates.

If he’d have moved to Chelsea in 2015, he’d have worked with Mourinho and Conte - two coaches who’d have instilled the basics of defending to supplement his ball-playing excellence; Mancini worked wonders with Kompany and Zabaleta in that regard. Guardiola isn’t that coach - Pique accredits his defensive development to his spell in Manchester, pre-Pep.

I wouldn’t be against extending his contract a year, and loaning him out to a club with a pragmatic coach to see if he can be salvaged, and bring him back under the next manager.

Doesn’t matter if he does - he isn’t going to here under Guardiola. Unless there’s a new coach coming in this summer, there’s no point in wasting another year of mediocrity, while his value further depreciates.

If he’d have moved to Chelsea in 2015, he’d have worked with Mourinho and Conte - two coaches who’d have instilled the basics of defending to supplement his ball-playing excellence; Mancini worked wonders with Kompany and Zabaleta in that regard. Guardiola isn’t that coach - Pique accredits his defensive development to his spell in Manchester, pre-Pep.

I wouldn’t be against extending his contract a year, and loaning him out to a club with a pragmatic coach to see if he can be salvaged, and bring him back under the next manager.

Yes it does seem he and Pep just don't gel.

Frustrating really, I like him and its always good to see a good English player in the team. I do suspect he will thrive somewhere else sadly, maybe just one of those partly inexplicable occasions when a really good player just does not do it at one particular club.

Don’t agree, some games and sometimes for a few games at a time he can look the perfect Pep centre back defensively and ball playing. What he lacks is the mentality / body to stay fIt or cut out the lapses. He’s had enough good runs to make me think he was getting there.
The fact he hasn’t is down to his fitness and mentality or concentration not abIlity or coaching. Not to say he won’t do very well in a more defensively minded team where he gets more cover.

The Stones from the first half of the League Cup final, I can understand wanting rid of.

The Stones from the second half of the League Cup final, would start every week alongside Laporte.

It's the inconsistency that means we need a world class centre back to take his place in our first XI. But I don't see a better option out there as home-grown cover, so he'll stay and fight to win his place back for the time being IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.