John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bite anyone's hand off if they offered £30m for the pair.

Stones surely has to be worth a gamble at £20m? He’s homegrown at least.

Otamendi- max £10m but even that would be tough.

So you’re probably right.

Since there aren't a lot of cash left in the business due to crisis, would a swap deal including Holgate (JS+$$=MH) make sense for City?

Stones isnt going to be a popular signing for a lot of clubs, probably because of high profile errors particularly with England. Fans wont be excited. I dont think Arsenal or everton will take the bait. Its going to be have to a team that sort of plays like us as I doubt many bus parking sides will have use for stones.

Newcastle post takeover, Southampton, Brighton maybe, Leeds with Bielsa if they go up are options.

Re talk above of fair market, I looked up Transfermark’s estimations out of curiosity.

John Stones: £32.4m
Phil Foden: £24m.

Hmmm. To be fair, their last update was late April but that’s their lookout if they don’t maintain their site.

Last edited:
There is a good player in there but confidence seems to be a problem for him.

I would be tempted to give him a start today, but the truth is that i am more tempted to start with Garcia.

There is a good player in there but confidence seems to be a problem for him.

I would be tempted to give him a start today, but the truth is that i am more tempted to start with Garcia.
One thing you had to admire about Kompany and in more recent years Aguero is that every time they got injured they came back with a hunger about them. They didn't necessarily play great immediately after injury but you could see there was a determination to not let it affect them. With Stones it's the opposite. He loses his mojo and generally needs a reset to get back to form. And given the way he plays he NEEDS that confidence otherwise he's error prone or indecisive. Worst of all unlike say players like Sterling, Jesus, or recently Bernardo, when Stones makes an error or makes a tame decision we concede a goal, so it compounds his issues.

When he showed up and was having issues Pep praised his bravery. It made sense. He was determined to play the right way even if it cost him, because eventually he'd know it and be a supreme player for it. As we saw most at the beginning of 17/18.

But something's changed. Maybe it's football related, maybe it's something in his personal life. But he's lost his spirit. And even with the players I mentioned before (Sterling, Jesus, and Bernardo), when things don't work for them they keep plucking away, just like John did in 16/17. We're reaping the rewards of Sterling's efforts now, and it's likely the other two will follow. But Stones, it's just not there.

I do hope he gets whatever's bothering him sorted. He's still young enough to turn it around.

Stones has had the luxury of having Fernandinho infront of him, protecting him from alot of the decisions he thankfully didn't have to make. Laportes injury this season has sent shock waves through the whole squad in my opinion. One player, just one player has effected everything around him.

Stones has had the luxury of having Fernandinho infront of him, protecting him from alot of the decisions he thankfully didn't have to make. Laportes injury this season has sent shock waves through the whole squad in my opinion. One player, just one player has effected everything around him.

Or it could be peps defensive coaching?? We’ve never looked that strong at defending when up against another high quality side

Pep Guardiola: "We cannot forget he [Stones] didn’t make a pre-season after two months. After two or three sessions he got injured and didn’t train until last week

"I will continue to say that I’m more than delighted with John as a person, as a professional, everything. What I want is the best for him. We’ll speak at the end of the season about what's going to happen..."

"Sometimes my wish is not the wish of the players, or the wish of the club. I'm honest with them and the moment I will feel that we have to change any player, we’ll talk to them..."

"He’s a young player. We want him to be consistent, train regularly and recover. There are players who can play every three days for 11 months and it's not a problem, others struggle more and we have to find the key to training and playing every three days.

"I never doubt the quality of John but when you don't play, and are injured again and rotated, it happens. The players are good when they play in a routine and confident. Even the top players need minutes and playing, being fit or being injured..."

"This is what happened with John in this period. At the same time, when we came back we have Fernandinho, we have Nico [Otamendi], we have Ayme, and we have a new guy in Eric who is doing incredibly well. He has to play for himself, focus on what he has to do..

"He knows he will not be judged for the bad actions, the good moments or bad moments but being what they are and we know what John is and his quality and perspective is there. We want them fit when they can’t play they are sad and worried, it's normal

Pep Guardiola: "What we want is the best for him, He's trained for the last 10 days or two weeks, his behaviour was always good and we are happy for him to start tomorrow

Pep Guardiola has stated he will sit down with John Stones at the end of the season to discuss the England defender’s future at #ManCity. [via
@TeleFootball

John Stones will start for #ManCity against Newcastle. [via
@ManCityMEN

"I will continue to say that I’m more than delighted with John as a person, as a professional, everything. What I want is the best for him. We’ll speak at the end of the season about what's going to happen..."

"Sometimes my wish is not the wish of the players, or the wish of the club. I'm honest with them and the moment I will feel that we have to change any player, we’ll talk to them..."
I'm not a language expert but I believe that's Catalan for "gone in the summer".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.