John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I disagree. Pukki would have been offside if Walker wasn’t playing him on, Stones knew what he was doing holding the line, it’s not his fault Walker went walkies. As a full back, one of the most important rules you learn, or rather should learn is hold the line with your Centre backs or don’t go behind them and that’s what Walker did unfortunately. Also can’t blame Stones for the third goal, all Otamendi needed to do was play it back to Eddy ffs and we wouldn’t be discussing that third goal.

Walker played him onside but Stones ignored the run and he just put his hand up expecting the flag. Easily avoidable goal even with Walker’s mistake if Stones would have done his job and tracked Pukki. As a CB you don’t suddenly stop playing football. Stones made the school boy error of forgetting to play to the whistle. OP blamed Otamendi for the pass that was poor to Stones therefore I just highlighted that Stones committed the same error for his pass to Otamendi. Although it is not his fault Otamendi fell asleep just like it wasn’t Otamendi’s fault that Stones lost his bearings prior to their 3rd.

when it comes to him in possession, he needs to rediscover his confidence and get some discipline to make quick and simple forward passes. His mistakes tend to come when he dithers with random dribbling runs, is indecisive in picking a pass and gets closed down, or makes insane square passes.

Seems to me he has a fundamental weakness thinking he’ll decide where to go with the ball only once he gets it, whereas the better players more often already know where they’re going with it before it lands at their feet.

But he’s not helped if paired with a midfield that isn’t working to make better options more readily available.

Genuinely like him so hope it all gets ironed out and he can play a good stretch injury free. He’s been immense at times over the years.

We are playing 50m & 40m CBs against newly promoted team, which should be good enough.

I agree but unfortunately a players cost doesn’t always represent their quality. In the case of Otamendi, you could argue we have had something like our moneys worth, he’s done ok in the main and he had a standout season 2017/18. We’ve had nothing, like our moneys worth out of Stones and I don’t think we’re likely to either.

I actually don’t think that Stones was that bad yesterday. He was easily our best defender, although that is hardly a compliment.

The second goal is all on Otamendi and Walker for me. Otamendi should not be charging in like he did and after he made his decision, he needs to make a foul if he doesn’t get the ball. Then Walker drops far too deep. He should be checking Stones’ line and playing the offside.

The less said about the third the better. Maybe he could have been alert to Otamendi’s hospital pass better but the fuck up is squarely on Otamendi

I actually don’t think that Stones was that bad yesterday. He was easily our best defender, although that is hardly a compliment.

The second goal is all on Otamendi and Walker for me. Otamendi should not be charging in like he did and after he made his decision, he needs to make a foul if he doesn’t get the ball. Then Walker drops far too deep. He should be checking Stones’ line and playing the offside.

The less said about the third the better. Maybe he could have been alert to Otamendi’s hospital pass better but the fuck up is squarely on Otamendi

Stones deserves his fair share of blame for the third, it's not all on Otamendi.

He dithers for a fucking age, telegraphs the pass to Otamendi so obviously that the Norwich player is able to close down Otamendi from 20 yards away before the ball even gets to him, and that's all happening in front of Stones, but behind Otamendi. Does Stones pull out of the pass because the Norwich player is charging up? No. Does he alert him to the danger? Doesnt look like it.

Terrible play all round but Stones especially.

Stones deserves his fair share of blame for the third, it's not all on Otamendi.

He dithers for a fucking age, telegraphs the pass to Otamendi so obviously that the Norwich player is able to close down Otamendi from 20 yards away before the ball even gets to him, and that's all happening in front of Stones, but behind Otamendi. Does Stones pull out of the pass because the Norwich player is charging up? No. Does he alert him to the danger? Doesnt look like it.

Terrible play all round but Stones especially.

If a player in our side cannot receive the ball under the tiniest bit of pressure then he shouldn’t be playing in our system.

Yes, Stones telegraphed the pass but isn’t that part of our game plan, to play through the press?

Otamendi’s body shape was all wrong, he dallied on the ball instead of playing it to Eddie or Stones first time around and was weak as fuck in the challenge.

If a player in our side cannot receive the ball under the tiniest bit of pressure then he shouldn’t be playing in our system.

Yes, Stones telegraphed the pass but isn’t that part of our game plan, to play through the press?

Otamendi’s body shape was all wrong, he dallied on the ball instead of playing it to Eddie or Stones first time around and was weak as fuck in the challenge.

Let me get this right, so you are blaming Otamendi for the silly pass from John Stones?

He looks totally berift of confidence, he was woeful for England in the summer, he was awful yesterday, needs to get his head right, we need him to step up to the plate and be counted, show some hunger and desire, become a leader coz that whole back 4 yesterday were shocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.