#5 | John Stones - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
But neither of them actually looked like they would score, that was the issue

The problem is that a normal side would see Stones charging up the pitch or taking shots or running into the box and they'd go and defend him. It's the whole reason Pep likes CBs who play out from the back - you come forwards and someone has to deal with you, and that leaves somoene else free up the pitch.

But because Bielsa is such a nut, and has such an obsession with man to man marking, no one is allowed to leave their man so no one ever left someone to confront Stones.

Unfortunately I'm not sure Stones quite came to terms with this. He should have been taking a lot more shots, standing in the penalty area as a striker, because then he'd have forced someone to deal with him and leave another, more dangerous player, unmarked.

That's why Pep subbed Gundo for Ake, because in that man to man system, a CB being the free player is not ideal.

The problem is that a normal side would see Stones charging up the pitch or taking shots or running into the box and they'd go and defend him. It's the whole reason Pep likes CBs who play out from the back - you come forwards and someone has to deal with you, and that leaves somoene else free up the pitch.

But because Bielsa is such a nut, and has such an obsession with man to man marking, no one is allowed to leave their man so no one ever left someone to confront Stones.

Unfortunately I'm not sure Stones quite came to terms with this. He should have been taking a lot more shots, standing in the penalty area as a striker, because then he'd have forced someone to deal with him and leave another, more dangerous player, unmarked.

That's why Pep subbed Gundo for Ake, because in that man to man system, a CB being the free player is not ideal.
I don't like when we cross as much as we did against Leeds because we obviously only do it that often when we are shit and struggling, but also I kind of feel too it was a missed opportunity from Stones. He did have two shot attempts from distance but let's face it, he was never going to score, but he could have attempted at least some runs into the box in these cases, it's not like we didn't have good crossers on the pitch (Zinch, Mendy, Cancelo, Bernardo and Torres can all do the job).

I don't like when we cross as much as we did against Leeds because we obviously only do it that often when we are shit and struggling, but also I kind of feel too it was a missed opportunity from Stones. He did have two shot attempts from distance but let's face it, he was never going to score, but he could have attempted at least some runs into the box in these cases, it's not like we didn't have good crossers on the pitch (Zinch, Mendy, Cancelo, Bernardo and Torres can all do the job).

Yeah, I would have liked to see him stand right next to Jesus in the box, and force the CB to try and mark them both.

Either one of them is left free, or someone else gets left unmarked as another Leeds played comes to help, and the chances of getting a head on the ball or a knock down would have been quite high.

Aké is really good in the air and he could have done that as well, swapping with Stones.

I thought he handled Haaland absolutely brilliantly all match. There was one moment when Hummels' outside of the boot pass got him the wrong side in the lead up to the goal, but he recovered from it and it wasn't the reason we conceded, that wa sjust an unlucky deflection of Dias falling to Bellingham.

Brilliant with Dias had wonderboy in his back pocket and loved it in the 2nd half when Stones threw him to the ground, Haaland might be world class but he doesnt play against our water tight defence every week
I was just about to post the same thing. That one moment perfectly encapsulates Stonesy’ restored confidence and a confident happy John Stones is one of the best defenders in the PL

I can’t really recall a great deal that Stones did over two legs. But the fact that Haaland did almost nothing at all in 180 minutes is testament to what he did do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.