#5 | John Stones - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would share that Whoscored rated Stones slightly higher than Ake in the Wolves match (even though I think the raitings system inherently underrated them both for the circumstances), with only Walker having a higher rating as a defender.

You can criticise their rating system but it is a decent form/performance trends indicator, so we’ll see what trajectory Stones takes in that regard.

I like Whoscored and normally give them a look after a game. Generally speaking though I think they really struggle to rate defenders well, especially none-attacking fullbacks.

Best he's played in over a year first half. Second half was a worry but he was clearly fucked & blowing out of his arse.

The problem with him has always been building up a head of steam - every time he looks like it's clicking he gets injured and takes 5 games to get up to speed.

For me, he’s good enough to play for us as our main right centre half. It’s just his injury record and time it takes him to get up to speed after injuries that’s the issue.

I really rate him though.
Didn't realise I almost quoted you word for word! Have a like.

I thought he played well in the first half after such a long time out. I liked the fact he put his foot through the ball when he was in trouble rather than playing silly passes or keeping the ball for too long (although he still did the former once in the first half but got away with it).

He was playing in a new CB partnership which should also be taken into consideration. The second half the whole team suffered from a lack of fitness so again I'm not going to judge him harshly on that.

Ultimately the key from last night was that if the whole team press and defend well then our CBs are less exposed and we look a much tougher side to beat. If we do sign another CB and Laporte comes in it will only make us even better.
Hit the nail on the head, the intensity and the press in the 1st half ensured Wolves were not able to offer much offensively and Traore was very quiet. Second half we tired a bit and there was a knock on effect with the press not effective and Wolves attacked a lot more particularly down our left.

I like Whoscored and normally give them a look after a game. Generally speaking though I think they really struggle to rate defenders well, especially none-attacking fullbacks.
It’s one of my criticisms of it, as well, that’s why I focus on using the ratings for form and performance trends.

In this case, I think WS underrated both on performance terms *and* given the circumstances in which the match was taking place (first of the season, away, lack of match fitness, etc.), but the latter is far too difficult to account for on a match-by-match basis, so it just my personal qualification of their ratings.

Thought he was good last night considering no preseason, a new partnership and starting for us the first time in gods know how long. Feel he dealt with raul very well, which isn't easy at all. Saw people blaming him for the goal, but for me kev and mendy both have to get just as much of the blame as stones.

Like a lot of the players, lack of match fitness showed towards the end of the game, but overall very happy with john's performance, hopefully he can use this and continually get better and back to his best form.

How come he wasn’t picked? Injured again?

to be far i think stone did pick up a little injury vs wolves put played on ? so maybe it was just a knock that didn't settle down fast enough to play today ?

the lad needs a bit of luck and game time because he defo got enough to play at this level
also after today showing by the rest of the city defence stones is looking a good choice with laporte

Honestly, I think Stones, like Mendy, is finished with us. I believed in him — until I could no longer really believe. Time to think in terms of a thorough change of the guard. New boys, to forge a new understanding. Ake, Laporte, Dias. At a push, only, Stones for cup games. Medium term, another central defender in the next window. Taylor Harwood-Bellis too young, by at least a couple of years, and difficult to evaluate what he'll really be worth. At 23, you can't help thinking that Tosin's ship has sailed, and he may never have really had it to make the grade at the highest level. No, we need that fourth central defender. But it won't be this time round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.