John Stones takes the number 5 shirt

Didn't central defenders wear 4&5 and midfielders 6&8?
I think the numbering dates back to the old 2-3-5 formation, so 2 and 3 were the full-backs (i.e. defenders), 4-5-6 were the three half-backs (i.e. midfielders), 8 and 10 were the inside forwards, 7 and 11 were the wingers, and 9 was the centre-forward. I think 5 was the first to drop back into the centre of defence, pushing the full-backs out wider, then 4 (I think) dropped back as well to make it a conventional 2-4-5-3 back four. 8 and 10 dropped into midfield along with 6, but 10 became the more attacking of the three, so 6 and 8 were more defensive mids. So in a 4-2-3-1 formation, it'd be 2-4-5-3 in defence, 6-8 defensive mids, 7-10-11 attacking mids, and 9 striker.

Or something like that.

Stones is a top quality centre half and a future England and city captain. Yes he has made a few errors but he won't reach his peak for another 6 or 7 years. Alongside Vinny he will become world class. As a traditionalist I like to see the central defenders wearing 5 or 6, full backs wearing 2&3, central midfielders wearing 4&8, wingers wearing 7&11 and forwards wearing 9&10. Don't think we'll ever see 1-11 out as the starting 11 again but it would be nice

Does this now mean he is no longer classed as 'Potential' by the media? Hope Vinny stays fit and that JS and NO can finally flourish

Pretty sure Doyle and Watson wore 4 and 5 respectively. Owen wore 6, Barnes 7, Kidd 8, Royle 9, Hartford 10 and Tueart 11. Unless old age has played havoc with my memory!

Depends on your age I guess, 5 Hendy/Curle, 6 Redmond/Vonk for me

I think the numbering dates back to the old 2-3-5 formation, so 2 and 3 were the full-backs (i.e. defenders), 4-5-6 were the three half-backs (i.e. midfielders), 8 and 10 were the inside forwards, 7 and 11 were the wingers, and 9 was the centre-forward. I think 5 was the first to drop back into the centre of defence, pushing the full-backs out wider, then 4 (I think) dropped back as well to make it a conventional 2-4-5-3 back four. 8 and 10 dropped into midfield along with 6, but 10 became the more attacking of the three, so 6 and 8 were more defensive mids. So in a 4-2-3-1 formation, it'd be 2-4-5-3 in defence, 6-8 defensive mids, 7-10-11 attacking mids, and 9 striker.

Or something like that.

11 10. 9. 8. 7
outside left. Inside left. Centre Forward. Inside right. Outside right

6. 5. 4
Left halfback. Centre Half(back). Right halfback

3. 2.
Left fullback. Right fullback

Goal Keeper

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.