Joker movie

This film is a masterpiece. Joaquin with an Oscar performance. Beautiful direction. Deeply painful viewing at times because it's so visceral and truthful to a man's downfall and society's failures.

Just seen this Phoenix will win an Oscar for this definitely, I think it’s a commentary on today’s society more than ever, mental heath, the way the rich seem to treat the poor, very uneasy viewing at times, but very well done.

Just sat down to watch it. Really looking forward to it, except I’ve gone on my own and feel a bit of a sad weirdo haha

No one bothered that Paul Gadd will be pocketing a nice wad from the soundtrack?

I just got back from watching it and there's a lot of thoughts swirling around that aren't organised yet. This is a good to great film and I haven't decided which one yet. Spoilers, obviously.

• The Marvel/DC cinematic universe lovers will hate this because it's slow and boring and deep for most of it. This is about as far away from Man of Steel as you could get cinematically. It's not "a comic book film". It is what a comic book film can be and should be. I imagine that fans of the comics might not like how it drifted from the "established" traits of Joker but I also imagine that having an intelligent character based movie is more in line with what they expect from their medium.
  • Joaquin Phoenix's performance is the best male lead performance I've seen this year so far. Especially his facial expressions which capture the emotions of the scene perfectly.
  • I think the movie is about 2 and a half hours and probably only the last hour qualifies as "a Joker movie".
  • The movie is more about mental health care, the 1%/99% protests and the lack of strong male role models than it is about a crazy clown. It's no coincidence by my reading that everybody who Arthur looked up to in a fatherly way was dead by the end of the movie.
  • Thought the Fight Club like flashbacks after the girlfriend reveal was a bit insulting. Give the audience some credit to connect the dots.
  • I can see the comparisons to Taxi Driver and lesser to King of Comedy but tonally it is different. Arthur is portrayed almost as a sympathetic anti-hero in the way that Travis Bickle wasn't by the director. Obviously in the story of both movies, they both end up as a form of hero but Bickle was much more unsympathetic in the way that he was shot which leads to a different movie.
It's good but it feels like one of those movies that you need to deep dive into to get a proper opinion of. This sort of movie shouldn't be judged from a single viewing sat next to a sweaty fat guy chomping popcorn.

I haven't seen it but the batman genre and joker have a paticular dark set of novels/mini series written and so I don't think hardcore fans will be turned off tbf.

More likely the cinema goers that want to see jack nicholson type joker or were fans of the 60s show

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.