Jordan Henderson wins FWA Footballer of the Year

I don't even dislike Henderson. He is a typical British midfield player who tries his heart out and would prefer to do it for Sunderland. It's the newspapers that do not report the truth on any matter whether it be football.. or anything. Don't buy them.

Really? I despise him. He's a complete mule that spends the entire game trying to drag his studs down the achilles and kick the ankles of talented midfielders. Him and Milner were born 20 years too late.

a yard dog of a player , 50% of his forward balls end up in row Z , he just runs about a lot , shouts and swears a lot and and does a lot of pointing (ive seen brick layers playing in sunday leagues better than this clown)
its an individual award , for the best individual in the league , but its from the Dipper sychophant media so no surprises

Klippety to get manager of the year , nailed on , no way Tony Pullis is going to take the Dippers gong.

Really? I despise him. He's a complete mule that spends the entire game trying to drag his studs down the achilles and kick the ankles of talented midfielders. Him and Milner were born 20 years too late.
I didn't say he was any good. The issue is the Littlewoods love fest not him.

KDB first each time.
Appearance: 35 / 30
Goals: 13 / 4
Assists: 20 / 5
Pass %: 81.5 / 84.5
Key Passes: 3.9 / 0.9 per game
MOTM: 10 / 1
Tackles: 1.3 / 2.1 per game
Aerials: 0.5 / 0.9 per game
Interceptions: 0.5 / 1 per game
Clearances: 0.7 / 0.6 per game
Blocks: 0.1 / 0.1 per game
Dribbles: 1.4 / 0.6 per game
Crosses: 2.2 / 0.3 per game
Long Balls: 3.4 / 4.2 per game
Through Balls: 0.4 / 0.1 per game

Of course the big one there is man of the match. He went so unnoticed until they realised they desperately needed a Liverpool player to make POTY that he won MOTM just once all season.

It's worth mentioning that Rodri who is probably more similar in position to Henderson has a pass completion rate of 92.9% and Gundogan has 91.9% so even his one stat where he has KDB comfortably beaten isn't that impressive for his position.
Thanks. The stats I looked at didn't let me break it down to just this season. The totals were even more revealing to show just what the gulf is between them. Pass % is lower for Kev as he tries to play the killer forward ball more often

Thanks. The stats I looked at didn't let me break it down to just this season. The totals were even more revealing to show just what the gulf is between them. Pass % is lower for Kev as he tries to play the killer forward ball more often
Easier to complete a 10yd sideways or backwards pass than it is to play a decisive pass round/through/over a parked bus.

a yard dog of a player , 50% of his forward balls end up in row Z , he just runs about a lot , shouts and swears a lot and and does a lot of pointing (ive seen brick layers playing in sunday leagues better than this clown)
its an individual award , for the best individual in the league , but its from the Dipper sychophant media so no surprises

Klippety to get manager of the year , nailed on , no way Tony Pullis is going to take the Dippers gong.
TBF bricklayers are usually good at pointing.

I don't think this is the most important award to players, despite what the FWA itself says:

... an award should be given “to the professional player who by precept and example is considered by a ballot of members to be the footballer of the year.”

That was back in 1947 and since then the Footballer of the Year Award has become the most prestigious award in the British game.

Delaney's tweet was rather interesting. He said he didn't vote for KDB because he was inconsistent, and had missed a lot of games. When City fans pointed out he had missed only three league games, and his statistics were far superior to those of any other player, he deleted his tweet. This is from the CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER of The Independent, displaying bias against a City player, or the club? Or favour towards another club or player? Certainly a lack of knowledge, which a rudimentary search could have prevented, and absolutely certainly a lack of impartial or independent thought, which he is employed to do.

Fair enough, football writers might easily interpret their own voting criteria as capable of being influenced by non-playing factors, as well as playing factors. But some, such as Delaney, clearly think the award should be judged on footballing ability and contribution. We know this, because he referenced KDB's inconsistency and lack of games.

Other football writers clearly think the 'example' can be set off, as well as on the pitch. Hence the award given to players like Scott Parker, and Henderson. You could even argue that Sterling was chosen due to a combination of playing and other activities - he outed the media as racist last season by pointing out the hypocrisy of his own treatment, compared with that of a white City player, when each had invested in a new house. But Sterling had a fantastic season on the pitch, so I'm not an advocate of that particular argument.

It might help if the FWA made it clear what they wanted for their POTY. Are their members voting for the best player of the season, or the player who has set the best example off the pitch? If the latter, Rashford should have been the clear winner this year. Until they clarify their own voting criteria, their award will never be the 'most prestigious award in the British game'.

It is interesting that the only time the football writers seem to have allowed an off the pitch example to influence their choice was when we won the league in 11-12, and Scott Parker won their award. I'm not sure what Parker did off the pitch to influence the choice though. On the other two occasions City won the league, Suarez and Salah received the writer's award, and you can't argue against them having great seasons.

The other question surrounding Delaney's actions is why he felt it necessary at all to come out and tweet the reasons why he didn't choose KDB. It wasn't necessary for him to justify himself - nobody else did. By giving his reasons for not choosing KDB, he is effectively saying "yes, I know De Bruyne was the most worthy recipient of this award this year, and I would have voted for him, if it wasn't for his inconsistency and lack of games. I voted for Trent Alexander Arnold instead." His tweet is confirmation of his prejudice against City.

So until the FWA clarifies what it means by 'example', and eliminates or reduces the possibility of 'anyone but City' voting, their award will be largely meaningless. Let's hope the players themselves have voted correctly. Their voting is simply for "the player who is adjudged to have been the best of the year in English football."

I don't think this is the most important award to players, despite what the FWA itself says:

... an award should be given “to the professional player who by precept and example is considered by a ballot of members to be the footballer of the year.”

That was back in 1947 and since then the Footballer of the Year Award has become the most prestigious award in the British game.

Delaney's tweet was rather interesting. He said he didn't vote for KDB because he was inconsistent, and had missed a lot of games. When City fans pointed out he had missed only three league games, and his statistics were far superior to those of any other player, he deleted his tweet. This is from the CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER of The Independent, displaying bias against a City player, or the club? Or favour towards another club or player? Certainly a lack of knowledge, which a rudimentary search could have prevented, and absolutely certainly a lack of impartial or independent thought, which he is employed to do.

Fair enough, football writers might easily interpret their own voting criteria as capable of being influenced by non-playing factors, as well as playing factors. But some, such as Delaney, clearly think the award should be judged on footballing ability and contribution. We know this, because he referenced KDB's inconsistency and lack of games.

Other football writers clearly think the 'example' can be set off, as well as on the pitch. Hence the award given to players like Scott Parker, and Henderson. You could even argue that Sterling was chosen due to a combination of playing and other activities - he outed the media as racist last season by pointing out the hypocrisy of his own treatment, compared with that of a white City player, when each had invested in a new house. But Sterling had a fantastic season on the pitch, so I'm not an advocate of that particular argument.

It might help if the FWA made it clear what they wanted for their POTY. Are their members voting for the best player of the season, or the player who has set the best example off the pitch? If the latter, Rashford should have been the clear winner this year. Until they clarify their own voting criteria, their award will never be the 'most prestigious award in the British game'.

It is interesting that the only time the football writers seem to have allowed an off the pitch example to influence their choice was when we won the league in 11-12, and Scott Parker won their award. I'm not sure what Parker did off the pitch to influence the choice though. On the other two occasions City won the league, Suarez and Salah received the writer's award, and you can't argue against them having great seasons.

The other question surrounding Delaney's actions is why he felt it necessary at all to come out and tweet the reasons why he didn't choose KDB. It wasn't necessary for him to justify himself - nobody else did. By giving his reasons for not choosing KDB, he is effectively saying "yes, I know De Bruyne was the most worthy recipient of this award this year, and I would have voted for him, if it wasn't for his inconsistency and lack of games. I voted for Trent Alexander Arnold instead." His tweet is confirmation of his prejudice against City.

So until the FWA clarifies what it means by 'example', and eliminates or reduces the possibility of 'anyone but City' voting, their award will be largely meaningless. Let's hope the players themselves have voted correctly. Their voting is simply for "the player who is adjudged to have been the best of the year in English football."

Exactly and just goes to show how biased football writers are, I was tempted to say 'thick' but if they were 'thick' they wouldn't spend the whole weekend trying to justify their decision and if it wasn't biased there would be no justification needed.

Do you remember as a kid when picking teams you'd select two captains and they'd each pick a player in turn to make up two teams.
Anybody with a footballing brain would not pick Henderson over KDB, I have a feeling though a few of these football writers might such is their grasp of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.