Jordan Henderson wins FWA Footballer of the Year

Football Writers = "hacks trying to sell newspapers" -> why the f*** do they even have an award that anyone would care about? Its like asking the unions to recommand a party to vote for...

Now that he's got his POTY award watch as the media lobby his case for an inclusion in the Queen's honours. Sir Jordan anyone?

I guess that it does support so many of the comments about the meeja being all Liverpool/Rag lovers. Maybe on a par with when Giggs won SPOTY...people will look back and think...Did that REALLY happen????

I heard a lad on the radio yesterday that coaches young kids. He said no doubt Henderson isn't the best player in the league and probably didn't deserve to win it but he was delighted he did. Made a great point that he can use Jordan Henderson as an example to every 10 year old he coaches, he can teach them to be Jordan Henderson. All they need is attitude and he can teach the rest.

He can't teach them to be David Silva or Kevin De Bruyne. Henderson is average in height, speed, strength, probably below par technically for a premier league midfielder yet he has made himself a hugely successful footballer.

The fact the award is by journalists make it irrelevant anyway. Most unimportant people in football.
If I was one of Liverpool's front three or James Milner or van Dijk, I'd be a bit insulted that Hendo the Talking Horse is the player that small Liverpool fans should aspire to be.

If I was one of Liverpool's front three or James Milner or van Dijk, I'd be a bit insulted that Hendo the Talking Horse is the player that small Liverpool fans should aspire to be.

You have completely missed the point. A coach can't turn a 10 year old into a 6.3" giant or teach a forward to run at near Olympic sprinter speed. He can teach them to be Henderson or Milner, they are ordinary in every way bar their work ethic. It's a brilliant example for all kids, ordinary can succeed with the right attitude. Harry Kane falls into this category too, not particularly tall or fast, no skills or tricks, he is sheer determination and willingness to learn and improve. Like the other 2 he is a great role model not just for football but work rate in all aspects of life.

You have completely missed the point. A coach can't turn a 10 year old into a 6.3" giant or teach a forward to run at near Olympic sprinter speed. He can teach them to be Henderson or Milner, they are ordinary in every way bar their work ethic. It's a brilliant example for all kids, ordinary can succeed with the right attitude. Harry Kane falls into this category too, not particularly tall or fast, no skills or tricks, he is sheer determination and willingness to learn and improve. Like the other 2 he is a great role model not just for football but work rate in all aspects of life.
But why do you need a POTY to demonstrate that? Is it not enough that he was a cog in a machine that won something? It is a team game after all.

I heard a lad on the radio yesterday that coaches young kids. He said no doubt Henderson isn't the best player in the league and probably didn't deserve to win it but he was delighted he did. Made a great point that he can use Jordan Henderson as an example to every 10 year old he coaches, he can teach them to be Jordan Henderson. All they need is attitude and he can teach the rest.

He can't teach them to be David Silva or Kevin De Bruyne. Henderson is average in height, speed, strength, probably below par technically for a premier league midfielder yet he has made himself a hugely successful footballer.

The fact the award is by journalists make it irrelevant anyway. Most unimportant people in football.

Personally with that view point he shouldnt be anywhere near coaching kids. That sort of grassroots coaching just shows how far behind we are in this country compared to others. All about the big kid who can throw his weight around in dodge tackles cheered on by just as limited parents. The little skillful kids are kicked out of grassroots by the bigger kids which alot coaches wants because it means he walk into his office on Monday, chest puffed out ...."yea my under 11's won 15-nil .

I had a team of little lads that no other teams wanted because they were to small, most other coaches would say after beating/bullying us of the pitch " you are the most skillful team we have played" !. We would finish about mid table below all the other teams made up of Henderson's !. Plus playing on crap pitches with a gale blowing suited those teams.

Can you imagine the damage that sort of coach is doing ti all the kids that want to play like Silva, Messi or even our Phil.

Ther is so much wrong with our grassroots football and he sounds like one of the. !

Last edited:
Personally with that view point he shouldnt be anywhere coaching kids. That sort of grassroots coaching just shows how far behind we are in this country compared to others. All about the big kid who can throw his weight around in dodge tackles cheered on by just as limited parents.

Can you imagine the damage that sort of coach is doing ti all the kids that want to play like Silva, Messi or even our Phil.

Ther is so much wrong with our grassroots football and he sounds like one of the. !
There you have it. Everything that is wrong with English football coaching supplied in those comments by that coach. Henderson is a workhorse. It's great that he has made so much of his limited ability (like James Milner) but we should aspire to excellence. Thankfully things are changing in England with young stars like Foden, Sterling, Greenwood etc etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.