Journalist shot dead in Northern Ireland

This has caused a real outrage within all communities of NI as it was seen as an act of violence on the 99% of the population who want peace and integration. Lyra was a very prominent journalist who covered a wide range of tricky subjects but was a spearhead for the LGBTQ community.

In terms of those responsible, it has been widely blamed on the New IRA which is basically a drug gang of under 30s who know nothing of the real troubles and being led by a few old dogs. Search Junior McDaid or Saoradh on Facebook if you want to see some of the backward c*nts that post about these organisations.

Derry can still be a very hostile place, much more than anywhere else in the country including Belfast. The police acted on Thursday night because there has been increased attempts to kill police in recent weeks so they raided a house in the area in search of weapons. This escalated due to their presence and as such dozens of youths starting petrol bombing them. Amazing, how quicky they done it to. They are definitely armed all the time. Sadly, a lone shooter emerged and shot at the police with INTENT but there were citizens and press behind them. If you watch the CCTV Lyra was actually at the back of the crowd as well.

However, all this shooting has done is succeeding in driving young people from both sides forward to push on with Peace. Many dont realise we havent had a goverment for more than 2 years in NI and as a young person myself i dont relate to the policies of either of the big 2 parties DUP or SF. There is elections in a few weeks and i wont be voting.

Check out the hashtag #notinmyname for more reference.

This was also very symbolic on what is a famous wall in Derry. Her funeral is on Wednesday and i suspect it will be a huge turnout. RIP Lyra

Last edited:
Many dont realise we havent had a goverment for more than 2 years in NI and as a young person myself i dont relate to the policies of either of the big 2 parties DUP or SF. There is elections in a few weeks and i wont be voting.
Why not? A vote for the moderate parties will hurt those 2 more than not voting.

Why is it that the media organisations still report atrocities like this as being carried out by dissident republicans. Or para military organisations. Why don't they just refer to them as terrorists. That's what they are. Why give them any more creedance or publicity than any other murderous terrorists?

A spate of bank robberies over the past few months in the north, and along the border in the south suggests to me that both sides are getting ready to arm up

There have been a large number of ATM robberies recently...its pretty much known that this is in preparation for whatever the outcome of Brexit could be.

As well, some suggestions there are parallels with the Northern Bank robbery in 2004...a huge "secret" pay-off for the 'RA as a "thanks" for the peace process??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Bank_robbery

Many dont realise we havent had a goverment for more than 2 years in NI and as a young person myself i dont relate to the policies of either of the big 2 parties DUP or SF. There is elections in a few weeks and i wont be voting.
I would have thought now is exactly when you need to vote.
The youth of NI need to get their voice heard.
The void of the assembly due to the two main party's intransigence, is as much to blame for the unrest as the prospect of Brexit is.

Why is it that the media organisations still report atrocities like this as being carried out by dissident republicans. Or para military organisations. Why don't they just refer to them as terrorists. That's what they are. Why give them any more creedance or publicity than any other murderous terrorists?
Who exactly do they think they represent? What exactly are they fighting against?
Whether you're Republican or Unionist, we as a whole have voted and agreed a way forward and had it recognised Internationally.
These are criminals, pure and simple.
They don't represent any part of normal society on the island as a whole.

Who exactly do they think they represent? What exactly are they fighting against?
Whether you're Republican or Unionist, we as a whole have voted and agreed a way forward and had it recognised Internationally.
These are criminals, pure and simple.
They don't represent any part of normal society on the island as a whole.
Exactly, therefore the media should imo just refer to them as terrorists and criminals.

I would have thought now is exactly when you need to vote.
The youth of NI need to get their voice heard.
The void of the assembly due to the two main party's intransigence, is as much to blame for the unrest as the prospect of Brexit is.

Elections in a few weeks...2nd May

I used to live just outside Belfast, but moved back a couple of years ago...so my first time voting in this area. Its a bollix, it feels like not worth voting for the party/candidate you really want but to vote strategically in order to stop certain parties getting in....frustrating

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.