Joy Division / New Order thread

1_barry_conlon said:
mac said:
Temptation, 1963 ,ceremony. Lowlife was the first new order lp I bought.my mates were the huge new order fans, me being a bunnyman.we use to have top music around the pool on holidays

I saw them with the bunnymen at Columbia Uni in the states in 87. The only downside being Gene loves Jezabel on the same bill!

Haha - just seen this. I saw them in Connecticut in 1989, with The Sugarcubes and PiL.

Never liked the Bunnymen much. I remember McCulloch singing Ceremony at GMEX in 86 with them, though. Saw a little clip of it on Youtube recently.

One slightly odd thing about seeing them in America was that their fans had different tastes to the English. They were all into Depeche Mode and New Order. I've a feeling they might have even toured with them over there once.

Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:
mac said:
Temptation, 1963 ,ceremony. Lowlife was the first new order lp I bought.my mates were the huge new order fans, me being a bunnyman.we use to have top music around the pool on holidays

I saw them with the bunnymen at Columbia Uni in the states in 87. The only downside being Gene loves Jezabel on the same bill!

Haha - just seen this. I saw them in Connecticut in 1989, with The Sugarcubes and PiL.

Never liked the Bunnymen much. I remember McCulloch singing Ceremony at GMEX in 86 with them, though. Saw a little clip of it on Youtube recently.

One slightly odd thing about seeing them in America was that their fans had different tastes to the English. They were all into Depeche Mode and New Order. I've a feeling they might have even toured with them over there once.

McCulloch singing ceremony at G-mex was met with a few bottles and chants of 'you scouse bastard' if my memory serves me right?

Think you may be right re depeche mode touring together. They did tour with U2 over there. Bono the worlds saviour was having to take their 'used' lady followers the sad act.

1_barry_conlon said:
Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:

McCulloch singing ceremony at G-mex was met with a few bottles and chants of 'you scouse bastard' if my memory serves me right?

Think you may be right re depeche mode touring together. They did tour with U2 over there. Bono the worlds saviour was having to take their 'used' lady followers the sad act.

It was Derek Hatton who was met with the bottles and abuse. McCulloch got cheered.

I forgot about Degsy. At least your memory is still intact;-)

Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:
Didsbury Dave said:

It was Derek Hatton who was met with the bottles and abuse. McCulloch got cheered.

[quote="Didsbury Dave]

New Order are one of the finest British bands ever.

But for a few years in the mid 80s, when they refused to mime or do interviews and were flushed with the Factory "no promotion" ethos, when Saville was doing those beautiful sleeves, and they were pushing the boundaries with synths and sequencers, they were the best band in the world to me.[/quote]

Hard to argue with any of this. my fav album tho is Movement. more joy div than new order i,m sure, but thats the name on the album.

no one mentions blue monday anymore cos its been played to death/bored of it now/uncool etc..but the b-side, The Beach, is still one of my fav ever tracks.

1_barry_conlon said:
BlueRob01 said:
I was a steward at the back of the Main Stand in the early 90's - in the days when stewards just had to turn up and watch the game, well, that's what I did. Anyway, Rob Gretton had a season ticket at the back of the stand next to where I always was. Top fella and always time for a chat about the blues and music.
I think he is dead now sadly.

You sir are correct re where Rob sat.

MES,he died the day of the Wigan away play off game. May 15th.

To be honest he didn't look to healthy even then - spent the whole games smoking and kinda shaking really from what I remember.. As a previous poster said, least he had fun and did it his way in life. I was only about 19 and a bit nervous at first to approach him but he was well chuffed when I did and knew who he was etc. Had a little chat when he came in every game after that. He used to take the piss and say I was the shittest steward he had ever seen ,which to be fair I was, or best, depends which way you look at it really..Top bloke.

Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Beat me to it, no way was McCulloch bottled and abused.
Hatton staggered on to the stage on crutches to thank The Smiths / New Order and The Fall for playing a benefit gig for Liverpool city council a few months before.
He then cracked a joke about Ron Atkinson and a rag jumped on stage and twatted him!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.