Julian Alvarez | Signs for City (see main forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if we want him in 6mths and hes not there and instead signed for someone else, then that would be shit wouldn't it.

What do we lose by buying him now, regardless of if he steps foot in Manchester or not for 12mths or in fact ever. Nothing.

Surely its important to let the lad continue to do well and be settled at his current club and then he moves over when the time is right.
Instead you want to pull him from Argentina and do what, Loan him to some random club to see him likely struggle for 6mths?
If he is not even good enough to be a squad player right now, I would not be that bothered if we dont sign him no. Its not exactly a once in a lifetime chance to ge the next Messi.

What we could lose is obviously the fee we are paying. 15-16M is not nothing.

Again, you are talking like if this is some child we are interested in. He is an 22 year old adult who has already mastered the league he is playing in, he is the best player in the league ffs. I would of course not want him to struggle on a loan, I want him to develop. Yes I of course want to pull him out of Argentina since the league is not great and he is unlikely to develop further there. I dont really understand why you assume he has the mental capacity of a 14 year old, he is a grown man ffs, if his not ready to leave Argentina now he probably never will be.

I agree if we are signing him he should join us ASAP to get bedded in and learn the language tactic and system but at the end of the day it's up to River plate if they want to keep him. If we activate the release we will be burning bridges with one of the best clubs at producing talent in South America is him arriving 6 months earlier worth it?
I dont really understand why we would burn our bridges with River if we activated his release clause. Doesnt really make any sense at all. Would make more sense that we did if we signed him for free.

Could paying a fee for him now rather than waiting for him to be available on a free be a statement of City's belief in the player's worth which Alvarez will value?

In his position it would mean a lot to me that a club was willing to do that. It also shows clubs from that region that City are a decent club to do business with and are not just vultures trying to strip them of their best prospects for little or no reward.

These things are worth something in my opinion but the fee and signing are a bit of a gamble. I really hope the lad does well and makes it at City as it feels a bit odd not having an Argentinian in the squad after so many years of Zabba, Kun etc.
Great post, makes a lot of sense!

If he is not even good enough to be a squad player right now, I would not be that bothered if we dont sign him no. Its not exactly a once in a lifetime chance to ge the next Messi.

Again, you are talking like if this is some child we are interested in. He is an 22 year old adult who has already mastered the league he is playing in, he is the best player in the league ffs. I would of course not want him to struggle on a loan, I want him to develop. Yes I of course want to pull him out of Argentina since the league is not great and he is unlikely to develop further there. I dont really understand why you assume he has the mental capacity of a 14 year old, he is a grown man ffs, if his not ready to leave Argentina now he probably never will be.
Clearly the club want to sign him, so we are negotiating with River Plate and the lad himself to find the best solution.
Why are you acting like we are potless so we are hoping we can keep it quiet and get him on a free. We pay the money and secure the future of a very talented player. As ive mentioned, they want to replace the lad with Castellanos for basically the same money so Alvarez so its in our interests to do that deal.

Pep struggles to find game time for most of the squad as it is, never mind throwing in another player. We very rarely do January transfers, there is a reason for this.

No hes not a child but there is a lot to be said to doing the move properly. Look at Torres, joined the club during a tough time with no friends or family due to COVID etc. Compare that with Jesus, we secured the deal and he had time to finish out his time in Brazil and move over in good time.

Clearly the club want to sign him, so we are negotiating with River Plate and the lad himself to find the best solution.
Why are you acting like we are potless so we are hoping we can keep it quiet and get him on a free. We pay the money and secure the future of a very talented player. As ive mentioned, they want to replace the lad with Castellanos for basically the same money so Alvarez so its in our interests to do that deal.

Pep struggles to find game time for most of the squad as it is, never mind throwing in another player. We very rarely do January transfers, there is a reason for this.

No hes not a child but there is a lot to be said to doing the move properly. Look at Torres, joined the club during a tough time with no friends or family due to COVID etc. Compare that with Jesus, we secured the deal and he had time to finish out his time in Brazil and move over in good time.
Im not saying we have to sign him on a free, Im saying I would prefer to sign him when he is actually ready to play for us, since he already is 22. Sure, there is a risk he could be more expensive, but he could also have a serious injury or not develop any more. I also said several times that I have no problem with loaning him out to River until the summer, even if it would not have been my preferred choice. I just think that it we will loan him out longer than that, we should consider him as an senior player and not a young talent. And just like I think it would be stupid to sign Haaland this summer and loan him back to Dortmund for a year, it would be stupid to do the same with Alvarez just because the fee is smaller.

EDIT:
You think its great business to do deals like this, I think its bad. Lets just leave it at that instead of debating about it over and over again. None of what we think matters anyway:)

Yea God's. You do understand that he is the current South American Player of the Year? Not some unproven wonder kid.
Whatever it takes to get him for 6+ years is the actual answer.

Last edited:
He's very complete.

-Good set piece taker.
-Hard worker off the ball (both on ofense and defense).
-Great first touch.
-Deceptively quick.
-Good dribbler.
-Unselfish.

His main weakness is probably headers but because it's just not his game. He has a couple of goals on the air though.

But to me his main strength is finishing, with both feet. Give him half a chance and he will make you pay. There's a stat that shows that he has an out of the ordinary % of shots on target. If he has daylight he will at least get it between the posts.
On watching highlights, this sold it for me. :)

I dont really understand why we would burn our bridges with River if we activated his release clause. Doesnt really make any sense at all. Would make more sense that we did if we signed him for free.

Do that and it will be very unlikely River Plate will do any business with us in foresable future.

Yes you can pay the release clause and forcing him to join us now, but it is worth it?

No, ofc not. Like other said, it is not worth to burning a bridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.