Just a heads up on these scamming gits

And thats a thing
Everytime I buy/register/enrol these days , from NHS apps, bank, screwfix, energy accounts, amazon, paypal,netflix,etc etc etc etcetc etc they want a password
So where do you keep them if it should be different, in your wallet next to all your cards, on your phone, laptop, scribbled on the wallpaper
Jeez you literally need hundreds
Its starting to affect my mental health, which itself is a very first world problem

A tip they gave us at work was to use the same password but prefixed with the website you are setting it for. So to use your name as an example your passwords would be NHSstevemacca, Screwfixstevemacca, Amazonstevemacca etc etc.

Had an email recently from "PayPal" saying there was an issue with my account and to click the link verify / security etc
First page was name / address etc and then the 2nd page was confirming my bank details linked to the account.
Emailed PayPal and they confirmed 20 mins later that it was a scam and asked me to forward it to them.
The email sent by the fraudsters was something like enquiries@paypal.security. com and all the wording and text looked the part. They must catch loads out but thankfully not me!

A tip they gave us at work was to use the same password but prefixed with the website you are setting it for. So to use your name as an example your passwords would be NHSstevemacca, Screwfixstevemacca, Amazonstevemacca etc etc.
Another way to do it is to use the same prefix for everything (something memorable, but complicated with special characters and numbers) and then use a couple of letters from the name of the site, say 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 5th letters in capitals at the end. So for Screwfix it would be something like: $D0nk3ysArse2345SE (1st and 3rd).

That's not my password by the way ;-)

I got the same text, clicked the link, but fortunately my browser already had it as a dodgy site, and flashed a big warning to go back.

Apart from a few obvious sites, the internet is a cess pit.

I got the same text, clicked the link, but fortunately my browser already had it as a dodgy site, and flashed a big warning to go back.

Apart from a few obvious sites, the internet is a cess pit.
Despite how secure people tell us the internet is you really do need to have your wits about you when you are using it, especially giving personal/financial details.

This is a useful site, which will tell you if your email address has ever been compromised.

Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach

No.... it's not a scam link ;-)

My job is loosely related to this. Major companies will NEVER send you a text message asking for payment by clicking a link

NHS
Royal Mail
HMRC
Hermes
DPD

To name but a few have all been targeted in the last 18 months. If in doubt forward the message to 7762. All telephone network use this text number for reporting scam text messages

Also these companies had deadicated webpages on their websites explaining what to do

If in doubt forward the text to 7762 and go on the companies website for more info. Never click on the link or reply to the text with personal details

And thats a thing
Everytime I buy/register/enrol these days , from NHS apps, bank, screwfix, energy accounts, amazon, paypal,netflix,etc etc etc etcetc etc they want a password
So where do you keep them if it should be different, in your wallet next to all your cards, on your phone, laptop, scribbled on the wallpaper
Jeez you literally need hundreds
Its starting to affect my mental health, which itself is a very first world problem
I used to keep all my passwords in an excel spreadsheet because I would forget them. I protected the excel spreadsheet with a password. Unfortunately I forgot the password to the excel spreadsheet !
:(

Last edited:
Nobody has my number who I haven't personally given it to and that circle is fairly small so any messages or calls that don't come with a name attached get swiftly deleted without reading/answering.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.